Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David-C
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Only have 95 channels - no HD channels

Hi,

I'm a new BT/YouView customer - have scanned for channels twice and don't seem to have any of the HD channels. According to the youview website there are 102 channels and counting, according to my youview box I have 95.

If I try to go to 101 or 102 for the BBC HD channels I get a 'No Channel' message.  

Anything else to check/settings to change to get the HD channels? Could this inidcate I need a new aerial?

Cheers.

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Only have 95 channels - no HD channels

@David-C wrote:

Hi,

I'm a new BT/YouView customer - have scanned for channels twice and don't seem to have any of the HD channels. According to the youview website there are 102 channels and counting, according to my youview box I have 95.

If I try to go to 101 or 102 for the BBC HD channels I get a 'No Channel' message.  

Anything else to check/settings to change to get the HD channels? Could this inidcate I need a new aerial?

Cheers.

It could be down to location, transmitter, aerial

have you a normal freeview tv, if so how many channels you get through that without the youview box

0 Ratings
David-C
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Thanks - the TV is definitely picking up more channels than the Youview box, switching the aerial lead between the TV and Youview box I get:

Youview:

95 channels

TV 59

Radio 24

TV:

122 Channels

TV 80

Radio 24

(The Youview has some others as hidden, the TV some as Data/Other).

The TV does pick up 101 as BBC HD and ITV HD and C4 HD. I have rescanned on the youview box 3 times and the channel count doesn't get higher nor do the HD channels appear.  Presumably the youview box isn't quite as good as picking up signals as the TV?  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 13

David-c   

(The Youview has some others as hidden, the TV some as Data/Other).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Worth checking what channels are hidden

http://www.youview.com/support/kb/ive-lost-some-channels

0 Ratings
David-C
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Thanks, the hidden channels are the adult/chat channels I hid via the guide so the kids wouldn't see them.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 13

What sort of signal strenth are you getting for the channels that you can receive ?

0 Ratings
David-C
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

It varies depending on the channel - 

Channel 3 is currently strength: 30%, quality 100% channel working fine.

Channel 1 is no longer viewable (probably jinxed it by keeping swapping the aerial lead in and out and rescanning!) strength 37%, quality 10%.

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 13

Yes - looks like its signal strength. Your TV has a better tuner than the Youview box which is why you are getting more channels on the TV.

But the main problem you have is marginal signal which you probably need to do something about - i.e. an aerial renewal.

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 13

@Colin_London wrote:

Yes - looks like its signal strength. Your TV has a better tuner than the Youview box which is why you are getting more channels on the TV.

But the main problem you have is marginal signal which you probably need to do something about - i.e. an aerial renewal.

Not necessarily a better tuner....The YouView box has 2 tuners in it, so any signal is split between the 2. So, if there is a weak signal, this will be more apparant on the YouView box.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
David-C
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

Thanks - decided to start with cheapest option and replace the aerial cables, if that doesn't work then will look at replacing the aerial. Cheers for everyone's replies. 

0 Ratings