Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
chris2k14
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Option to NEVER turn off

I think an update should be added so we can choose for the box to never go to standby.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
TimSmedley
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Option to NEVER turn off

Hi Chris

Can I ask why?

Tim

0 Ratings
chris2k14
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

I just find having to wait for the box to boot up pointless and not needed. I have it all set to stay turned on for the longest amount of time and to fast boot but you still have to wait for it to turn on and I personally would have it set to never turn off if the function was there. I see no reason why the function isn't there as it makes no odd's to BT and it would be down to the customer if they don't mind paying the electricity bill.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 13

There is a little thing called social responsibility as well....it's not all about the money. Low Economy mode only takes about 15 seconds to start up and be ready to use. Can you really not wait that long?
0 Ratings
TimSmedley
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 13

Chris

If you pick up the remote and turn on the box, then the TV and then sit down it should all be about ready to go when youre sitting comfortably!

Tim

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 13

The box originally had this option but appeared to be the cause of some problem or other so was removed pending a fix. Two years later ...
0 Ratings
ChrisC
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 13

There's also a European law that DTT set-top-boxes must have an auto-standby feature. This started as a recommendation a few years ago but became a requirement around 2009. Satellite set-top-boxes are covered in a different set of rules which are a voluntary code of practice which is why Sky boxes are supplied with auto-standby on, but have a 'never turn off' option.

I'm pretty sure the latest YouView boxes options go up to 12 hours. If you change channels or open the menu twice a day it will stay on permanently.
0 Ratings
jab501
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

Hi

Is the problem you are having, that if you leave it go into stand-by, you then have to reboot by thr on/off switch.

I had the same problem, what seems to cure it is to put a basic freeview channel on the YouView, turn it off by the remote, and after the stanby time goes over the 12 houres in my case, I can turn it on great,  I didn't have this prob with my old youview, I think it is only on the UltraHD, it needs a fix, because if leaving it on an internet channel makes the standby bug, it really needs a firmware update

0 Ratings
KernowChris
Expert
Message 9 of 13

Perfectly reasonable suggestion, I'm sure that the auto switchoff facility adds to the reliability problems with You View and especially the now obsolescent BT V+ boxes. 

I admire the social responsibility policy, it's fine, offer it yes, ensure that it activated on first boot, but please give the user the ability to disable it.

0 Ratings
davgille7
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 13

SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY. Your having a laugh. China opens a coal fire power plant at the rate of 1 per week, which is the equivalent of the emissions produced from every car in the UK on a yearly basis. I would rather my box stayed on as well. It's annoying when I change from Hdmi 1 (Sky) to Hdmi 2 (BT) and have to wait 15 seconds.