cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Pusscat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Out of contract, BT want to charge me £300 for a YouView box if I sign for new contract?

Hi,

Not sure about what  a chap at the BT options team have just told me so I thought I'd seek advice here.

I currently have BB unlimited and BT Vision, all out of contract for several years and realised I was paying the earth.

I've rung BT and they've joined my Vision and BB accounts into one  and now I wanted to discuss a new contract.

IVia the Options Team, I've been offered £13 odd a month for BB unlimited, telephone calls anytime for £7 and line rental for £141 one off.  He then talked about TV and films but I said I wanted to be to watch catchup players and record in HD and that I would like YouView.  

He said I already had a Vision box (several years old...) and that it'd cost me £300 for YouView.

I asked if my BT vision could be cancelled and could I then sign up for YouView...he said yes.  I said I could send the BT Vision box back, he said it didn't matter and that the new YouView box wouldn't cost me anything.  He then changed his mind and said no it would still be £300. 

He said if I cancelled all my contracts with BT for a few months, went to someone else then came back to BT, he could do me a deal.

I'm really confused ... Can anyone help with the facts?!!

Thanks in anticipation

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: Out of contract, BT want to charge me £300 for a YouView box if I sign for new contract?

This is what the current BT tariff guide says

Youview box charge.JPG

(there is a seperate activation chage £49 for a new box).

I suggest you ring the options team again and speak to a different person and see what they quote.

Remember to get the most out of Youview it is best to have infinity broadband.

0 Ratings
walkerx
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 10

Re: Out of contract, BT want to charge me £300 for a YouView box if I sign for new contract?

@Pusscat wrote:

Hi,

Not sure about what  a chap at the BT options team have just told me so I thought I'd seek advice here.

I currently have BB unlimited and BT Vision, all out of contract for several years and realised I was paying the earth.

I've rung BT and they've joined my Vision and BB accounts into one  and now I wanted to discuss a new contract.

IVia the Options Team, I've been offered £13 odd a month for BB unlimited, telephone calls anytime for £7 and line rental for £141 one off.  He then talked about TV and films but I said I wanted to be to watch catchup players and record in HD and that I would like YouView.  

He said I already had a Vision box (several years old...) and that it'd cost me £300 for YouView.

I asked if my BT vision could be cancelled and could I then sign up for YouView...he said yes.  I said I could send the BT Vision box back, he said it didn't matter and that the new YouView box wouldn't cost me anything.  He then changed his mind and said no it would still be £300. 

He said if I cancelled all my contracts with BT for a few months, went to someone else then came back to BT, he could do me a deal.

I'm really confused ... Can anyone help with the facts?!!

Thanks in anticipation

They've probably re-assigned you to a new contract and if the box is old then I can't see why they would charge you £300 for a new Youview box, expecially as they are only £230 direct from Humax for the latest retail version.

And if you cancelled and went with someone else you would be tied into a minimum 12 month contract, so you wouldn't just be able to go back to BT after a few months, unless you were willing to pay any early cancellation fees.

I suggest you ring BT again and see what they can offer you as the person who gave you the advice about paying £300 and leaving and coming back is incorrect and BT need to find this consultant and provide them with training.

0 Ratings
cactusbob
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 10

What happens if you try to order YouView online? Go through the motions, but don't actually order it and see what the computer says

0 Ratings
Pusscat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

I went back to the options team and they couldn't explain why they initially wanted to charge me an extra £300.

So have now signed up for a deal.

Only slight problem is, I've had an activation email through, gone through that process to get to 'My BT' set up but haven't had any e-mail telling me what I've actually signed up for yet!  I just wanted to check it was the same as the one we discussed over the phone. Hay ho...see what tomorrow brings...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 10

@Pusscat wrote:

Only slight problem is, I've had an activation email through, gone through that process to get to 'My BT' set up but haven't had any e-mail telling me what I've actually signed up for yet!  I just wanted to check it was the same as the one we discussed over the phone. Hay ho...see what tomorrow brings...

If they correctly placed an order you should get an Order Confirmation email which will give the details of the services you have ordered, any equipment with expected delivery dates, one-off and monthly costs, and an Order Reference Number. As you say, this is important as it is effectively the contract details and you need to check it is all correct.

The Order Confirmation should state clearly that they are only charging you £49 for the BT Youview box activation and there is a 12 month minimum term for BTTV.

Sometimes the system can go wrong and order confirmations can get lost (I know from bitter experience). If you haven't got an Order Confirmation after 24 hours I would phone BT and chase it up. Make sure you are checking the email address they are sending it to.

You should also be able to view a summary of the order along with its current status through the MyBT web page.

0 Ratings
Pusscat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Thanks for the comments:

Umpire, I've rang and spoken to BT now on about 4 or 5 occasions.  The Indian lot say there's been an error in the  sending if my Order confirmation Email and that they'll send it again and I'll get it in 5 miss..I never do!  I've confirmed the email spelling with them and it's fine.  

When I get through to Uk based office, they say for me to just look at My BT for the details but it doesn't tell me about the phone Anytime package (add ons will apparently can be seen at the moment but this will be rectified at a later date...) and doesn't tell me what package of BT Vision I'm on.  Hence why I wanted the order confirmation E-mail in the first place!!!

I got really burnt once before with Talk Talk, being pressured into buying a package at a supermarket, being told I could cancel wintin 7 days with no problems  I then tried to canel 3 days later, they said they had but didn'tl then it all getting really ugly for 3 months doing battle with them.

I'd hoped BT would have it's act together but all they do is tell me over the phone what I've ordered.  I want to see it in writing so's to speak.  Very frustrating!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

I do understand your annoyance. Back in May I had an order for phone, Infinity (with engineer installation), BTTV with extra channels, Sky Sports, BT Sports, the whole caboodle. Like you I never got sent the order confirmation due to what seemed to me to be an obvious system error.

I then spent 9 unfruitful days calling India and the UK numerous times. Broken promise after broken promise and all sorts of excuse and nonsense.

I got sent the email telling me about the engineer appointment 8 times! Clearly the system was resending the wrong email, but they wouldn't accept that. I even got people in the UK to read over the phone the contents of what they thought was the order confirmation (after they had cut and pasted the HTML into a word document). When they started to read it out it was clear as day that it wasn't an order confirmation and was the appointment information. I was told the same as you, that I could view the summary online. I said so what? That is not the full document with the monthly costs, the smallprint and links to terms and conditions. After some persuasion they usually agreed with me.

Staff over in India were even more clueless telling me that a one line SMS text message that they sent was the normal order confirmation document. What utter rubbish! They also told me several times it had been passed to level 2 technical support and was being looked at as a matter of urgency. Of course nothing ever came of this other than more broken promises that I would receive it within 24 hours. At one point (after they suggested I hadn't checked my emails) they suddenly decided that it had been bounced back by the international emailing system due to the route it was taking and it was a known issue. I asked how that explained the non-delivery of the paper copies they had promised me had been sent via Royal Mail 4 times. Was my postman involved in some sort of conspiracy against me, or was it more likely that the system just hadn't actually sent them? They had no answer.

Anyway, it got to the day before the installation and activation and I had to decide what to do. I had been told different stories by different BT staff about when I could cancel. Some said I couldn't cancel at all after ordering. Some said I could cancel up to when I received equipment. Some said I could cancel up to the activation day. Some said I could cancel up to 10 days after activation day. As is the norm with BT you get conflicting information. I rang up in the afternoon and said I need to cancel and start again as the order processing has been a farce from day one. The chap I talked to in Scotland actually fully understood the issue and agreed it was totally unacceptable what I had been told by others. He said he was about to start a half hour break but he could go out of way to use the time to create a mock order confirmation from the templates that he had access to. He sent it and I checked it. It wasn't perfect, had a few mistakes, but he phoned back and I agreed that it would suffice and to go ahead with the installation and activation the next day. I then had over two weeks of other unrelated service issues, but that's another story. Smiley Happy

So good luck getting an order confirmation. Of course you need the full contract details in writing and I think BT's own T&C state that they will provide this. From my experience if you don't receive it within 24 hours then cancelling the order and starting a new one from scratch might be the best course of action. Even that can cause problems though if they have already sent out equipment.

Maybe a friendly Moderator might offer to help?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.

They are the only BT employees on this forum.

Once you get a reply, if you click on their name, you will see a screen like this. Click on the link as shown below.
Please do not send them a personal message, as they may not be on duty for a long time, and your message will not be tracked properly.

For your own security, do not post any personal details, on this forum. That includes any tracking number you are give.

They will respond either by phone or e-mail within 5-6 working days.
Please use the tracked e-mail, to reply, not via the forum. Thanks

modpicture.jpg

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 10 of 10

Hi Pusscat,

I'll get this cleared up for you.

Could you drop me in an email please? Use the 'contact us' form in my forum profile under the 'about me' section. You can find it by clicking on my username.

Thx

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings