Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sps1013
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 15

Overly confusing options for BT YouView

Hi all,

I will try and make this simple as there are hundreds of posts on this and other forums contradicting each other and I am getting confused.

In essence I would like BT YouView with the entertainment pack.

I currently have Infinity 2 with speeds of 74/16. My master socket is upstairs (do not ask why the builder put it up there) where my modem and Airport Time Capsule are located. My TV is downstairs where I want to have BT TV.

It is physically impossible to have an ethernet cable go from upstairs to downstairs purely down to the layout of the new build property. There is no phone point in the living room either.

I know I can put my Time Capsule in Bridge Mode and back wire into the HH3 but can I then use powerline adapters to run from the upstairs ring to the downstairs ring and still watch the multicast channels?

I currently have a BT Youview box from Currys but fully expect a new box to be sent out by BT if I order.

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
wato
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 15

Re: Overly confusing options for BT YouView

BT says no to powerline adapters , but I know a few ppl who use them and they are fine , just try them
0 Ratings
sps1013
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 15

Just trying them would mean entering into a contract. If they failed to work then its money down the drain as I cant have the box anywhere else.

0 Ratings
notoriousdbp
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 15

If upstairs and downstairs are on separate rings then it's unlikely powerlines will work

---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---
0 Ratings
sps1013
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 15

But if both ring mains go through the same busbar in the main board why wouldn't they?

It just seems stupid that BT bring a system out which some people can't use!
0 Ratings
notoriousdbp
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 15

Powerlines work really well for many people, but it really depends on the wiring in your house.  The only thing you can do is try, and BT don't support the use of powerlines at all for the extra channels

---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---
0 Ratings
sps1013
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 15

And I accept that but not everybody can have every item in one place in a house.
0 Ratings
Helios
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 15

That's why BT pay Openreach for a 30m cat5e data line between the HH4/5 and STB on every IPTV install.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 15

Rather than enter into a contract with BT why not buy a pair of PLAs and test it with your existing YouView box. If it works with the players then it will work with internet channels in my experience.

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
dampfish
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

I think stuartrogerson's suggestion is spot on, buy the PLAs first and test them using a PC and a dsl speed checking website. If you get the full speed that your broadband is capable of then you should be fine. Just make sure you plug the PLAs where you intend to use them with the Youview box.

FWIW, I have found PLAs all but useless in my house, even the latest technology. I think their performance is very much dependent on the other things you have plugged in to the mains. I have had far more luck with the latest generation of WiFi technology.

0 Ratings