Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jje
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Ownership of BT TV box

Go to solution

If a have paid for a BT TV box  eg £49.99 when ordering .

Does the box then  become my property or only after the 12/ 18 month contract ends .

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Ownership of BT TV box

Go to solution

Hi @jje

You may want to read the post by @SeanD about BT TV

What Happens to my Bt Box if I leave BT

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution
When you cancel they will tell you about any outstanding costs. If they've just sent you a bag to return it you can safely ignore it I think. ( unless you want them to recycle it for you that is which is debatably all it's good for 😉
0 Ratings
jje
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Question is do i now own a box i paid BT £49.99 for .

Thats now not at the end of the contract as i know how a box works without BT Subscription .

Its the actual ownership of the box itself today that has been paid for .

Its nothing to do with returning at the end of the contract .Nothing to do with cancelling or a bag

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Once the box is sent, it's your box, if you cancel during the initial contract you'll be charged for it, however the box is still yours.

You will lose some functionality without a subscription, updates being one of them.

0 Ratings
jje
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

Ok so i paid and its my box .

But if i cancel during the contract i will have to pay for it again .??

Thats paying twice then .

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

When you order BT TV some have activation costs, is that not what your £49.99 was for ? that's not a charge for the equipment, it's to activate it.

You can also order a 2nd box for £49.99 which is the non-recordable Z4 box, that price is discounted for taking a subscription, so you would be charged if you cease within 12 months.

Highlighted
Keyinferno
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

From the day you recieve a BT TV youview box its yours.

However, if you have entered into a say 12 or 18 month contract with bt or any other company and then cancel it before the end of term (of contract), you will then be charged for the remainder of the contract you haven't fulfilled. 

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

@-Richie-wrote:

Once the box is sent, it's your box, if you cancel during the initial contract you'll be charged for it, however the box is still yours.

You will lose some functionality without a subscription, updates being one of them.

Updates will always be automatically applied regardless of whether or not you are a subscriber to BT TV , Plusnet or TalkTalk.

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

@TimCurtiswrote:

Updates will always be automatically applied regardless of whether or not you are a subscriber to BT TV , Plusnet or TalkTalk.

Youview updates yes but not BT updates, so the recent Amazon Prime support will not go to non-subscribers.

0 Ratings