Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jandjwilliman
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Ownership of YouView box

As  with many others I have seen on this forum, I have completed my contract with bt but have received a reminder to return my tv box. As we now own this due to the completion of our contract, how do we make these reminders stop?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Ownership of YouView box

Hi @jandjwilliman  welcome back and sorry to lose your custom. Once your service is cancelled you will receive a reminder to return the equipment so that it can be recycled. If you have received more than 1 reminder since your BTTV service has stopped post back and let me know and we will be happy to look into it further for you. 

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 7

I'll see what happens with mine. My service ceased today. I was clear when I cancelled a month ago that I was keeping the equipment which the agent was happy to confirm I could do. She also said she had noted on the system this was what I intended to do.

I still got an email at that time to return my box......

Lo and behold, today on the day of end of servive I get a recycling bag through the post. So much for that flag on the system!

Just my luck if they also try and charge me for my remaining contract at the next bill even though I cancelled due to the price rise.......

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

@Colin_London 

It's my understanding that you can cancel your broadband contract due to a price rise but that doesn't preclude you from charges for ending any other parts of the contract early.

I'd be very interested to hear what happens in your case as I'd love to be wrong about this for my own personal reasons.

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

@TimCurtis We received a clear email about the TV service only saying that we could cancel the TV service due to the TV price rise.

Have also got the cancellation email saying that the TV service cancellation costs would not be applied in this case as I was cancelling due to the price rise. So pretty watertight.

But you had to cancel within 30 days of receiving the email so you may have now timed out.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

@Colin_London 

I thought that cancellation at no cost was only for broadband so that's good to know.🙂

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 7 of 7

@TimCurtiswrote:

@Colin_London 

I thought that cancellation at no cost was only for broadband so that's good to know.🙂

It's the other way round, as BTTV and BT Sport are increasing, you can exit that contract without charge, as long as you're within the notification window listed on the price change letter/email, you can also keep the Youview box if you wish, you're automatically sent a jiffy bag incase you wish for BT to recycle it.

As it's just the BTTV and/or BT Sport that is changing, leaving a broadband contract would see early termination charges applied, this is because broadband is a separate service with its own terms and is not changing in price.

0 Ratings