cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 1 of 18

PSB HD channels via Broadband

Is there any contraint on providing the PSB HD channels that are provided free as broadband extra channnel to the Bt vision+ box to those taking internet channels on Youview.  I know most will be able to receive these channels via Freeview aerial connection  but for those who can't or have reception issues it would be a welcome addition. Also the additional PSB Hd channels (Cbeebies and BBC 4) coming next year will only be transmitted at much reduced power on the new muxes from a lreduced range of transmitters.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
cactusbob
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: PSB HD channels via Broadband

I would say that they are just a few more multicast channels that BT send out. I think the whole point was that the Vision+ boxes couldn't handle DVB-T2 broadcasts.

I doubt you'll see them on YV, BT will just say get a better aerial.

0 Ratings
aseymour
Contributor
Message 3 of 18

There's no constraint from a technical prospective - your constraint in this case is the lowest common denominator which in this case would be the slowest broadband speeds they want to support.

Personally, I'd welcome this - internet connectivity is a lot more reliable and faster than what it used to be and perfectly capable of supporting multiple HD streams with infinity. It's also significantly cheaper to broadcast via IPTV than over the air.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 18

As an aside if you are receive transmissions from  Crystal Palace transmitter then channel 108 Al  Jazeera HD is  on-air broadcasting a promo from one of the new multiplexes so you can check your reception  - the transmission is at 15600W which is a lot less than the 200000W that the existing  6 muxes.

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 18

Every transmitter in the country broadcasts the four PSB HD channels. The facility to watch them on Vision boxes is purely because they don't have DVB-T2 tuners, not to mitigate for poor TV reception.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 18

You should post this in the Ideas Bank

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 18

From  http://www.digitaltveurope.net/79512/bbc-to-launch-five-new-hd-channels-as-ofcom-creates-capacity-fo...

"The BBC said that all five of its new HD channels will be broadcast on satellite, reaching 99% of UK homes from launch. On DTT, BBC Three HD and CBBC HD will use existing BBC HD multiplex capacity, which has 98.5% coverage, while the other three new HD channels will use Ofcom’s new HD capacity – which will be available to up to 70% of the population but is due to grow over time."

I agree with zulu17 that it would seem to make perfect sense for BT to offer the PSB HD channels over Infinity multicast to those ~30% of BT Youview box owners who won't be able to pick up the 2 new DVB-T2 multiplexes due to launch in 2014. Especially if they offer them over multicast to BT Vision+ box owners (we don't yet know that will be the case though). Imagine how annoying it would be if your neighbour could watch BBC NEWS HD on an old BT Vision+ box and you couldn't on your BT Youview box. Surely BT don't want to give potential customers reasons not to go with BT Youview. 

Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 18

A bit more information about the new HD channels. Service offically starting up on 26th Nov in some areas.

http://www.a516digital.com/2013/11/rollout-of-extra-freeview-hd-channels.html

Also note that the first new DVB-T2 multiplex COM7 is now shown on the coverage checker results at

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 18

The other info that is relevant is this statement from the BBC

The five new HD channels will also be offered to TV platform operators that run their own networks, such as cable TV and IPTV operators.

Given that this was announced in mid-July there has been several months for the IPTV operators to agree with the BBC how this could be achieved.

The BBC also said

The majority of HD programmes from these channels will also be available to watch on demand via BBC iPlayer.

0 Ratings
Grecian83
Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Interesting that I see no mention of the Stockland Hill transmitter. I presume we will get coverage. I have had the placeholders up for a few months.
0 Ratings