cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Pairing my BT remote to control my TV

My mum recently bought the BT broadband, phone and tv box and paid for an engineer to install it.. unfortunately no one turned up and it was going to be weeks before another date was available (then maybe turn up) so I tried it myself. I’ve got the tv working but despite going through the steps to pair the BT remote to operate my Digihome tv it just won’t work. Is it because my tv works using infra red but the BT remote uses Wi-Fi? Meaning my tv is too old? I bought it over 6 years ago? Tried to have a look for new TVs online and even in Curry’s but couldn’t find any information on if the remote/tv is Wi-Fi or infra red. The curry’s salesman thinks all TVs are infra red and even the Samsung rep didn’t know about the Samsung TVs 

My mum gets very easily confused with technology and is desperate to only have 1 remote. Has anyone had this issue before and how did you resolve it? 

Also I don’t know if there was something we had to do to activate the phone line. We didn’t get anything written. Despite setting her up with digital voice they didn’t send her a new phone. The old one is plugged in as always. It doesn’t get a tone or dial out and when I ring it no noise comes from the phone? (But my phone sounds like it’s ringing?) really wish the engineer had just turned up! 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Pairing my BT remote to control my TV

The phone needs to be plugged into the back of the Hub. You may need to remove a sticker first.

I suspect that as the TV isn't a major brand that it isn't supported. Although the remote communicates with the Pro Box by bluetooth, it uses IR for the TV.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

How do I control my TV with my BT TV remote control? | BT Help states

"The BT TV Box Pro remote should connect to most TVs automatically.

If yours does not pair, you can reset your remote by holding down the Home and 9 buttons until the light on your remote flashes.

If resetting your remote does not work, you will need to use your TV remote and BT TV remote separately."

The basic functions of the TV (Vol up/down, channel change etc) will be Infra Red functions, The Bluetooth functions are included to enable voice search from the remote handset but this has not yet been implemented in the BT TV Box Pro so it's about as much use as a chocolate fireguard at the moment. 

If the TV remote has a voice search facility then it will be a combination of IR and Bluetooth in the same way as above

Message 4 of 6

Thank you we tried all of them so we were wondering if it’s just her TV is too old and if she got a new one it would be more likely to pair. I don’t think anything will help now though. She really can’t work the tv box at all. Everyday she is getting muddled up then confused and upset. We are regretting her signing up. She would have been better just with normal freeview channels or sky as she used to use my sky and remote when staying so seems to have kept that knowledge from before her recent cognitive decline.  I don’t suppose BT would let her cancel it would they? 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

You should be able to cancel within 14 days of activation. Are you wanting to just cancel the TV or the whole thing?

@JohnC2 

You appear to be online, can you please advise?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Hi @Irene52, if you are within 14 days you can cancel. Have a look at: How to cancel within 14 days | BT Help

If you've taken a service like  BT Sport, you've agreed you want to be able to watch that immediately so you don't have 14 days to change your mind for that part of the service.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings