cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Paramount Plus

Is the Paramount plus app coming to BT?

From what I read the service will be integrated into Sky Q similar to Netflix and Disney + etc.

However, quite a few sites confirm that Paramount Plus is also being released as a standalone app for download (Apple TV, Roku etc.)

So, is BT offering the app on the platform?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Paramount Plus

I dont think BT will have the Paramount Plus app as soon as the service starts.

Sky Cinema customers are meant to be getting Paramount Plus for free but from what im hearing and reading on another forum but this dont include anyone that gets Sky Cinema via the Now service.

In the short term I think you are better getting the likes of the Amazon Firestick if you want to any new apps.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

I've read this:

"Paramount Plus will also be available to those who don’t have a Sky Cinema subscription through the Paramount Plus app for iOS and Android and across supported connected TV devices and OTT platforms."

And : https://metro.co.uk/2022/02/16/when-is-paramount-plus-coming-to-the-uk-and-what-will-be-on-it-161154...

It does sound like there will be a general app release. For NOW customers it will be an add on subscription. Actually I wonder if it will be available then via BT through NOW just like Peacock is (EG Joe & Carol, that Tiger King drama)?

I'm not a Firestick fan as its very Amazon focused dreadful UI. I have Apple TV with all its faults set up alongside BT so they are sure to release the app but as always it would be great to have the service available on BT.

I nice to have really.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

@PJCORNELLY if you're not a fan of Firesticks, try Roku. We've got a couple of Roku Streaming Stick+'s... They're quite cheap at £50. Have a ton of free apps and channels plus all the major streaming platforms, now including Discovery+... 

Comcast have done a deal with Paramount+ but it also looks like they're going for a full wider release...

Sky/Comcast are losing a lot of ground because HBO Max is soon going to merge with Discovery+ and they could lose most of their content if Discovery tear up Sky's HBO deal.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

@NigelB72 you are right in that it now looks like the major program producers are going it alone with subscription services and I would have therefore thought it is in their interest to push their apps across all platforms to entice subscriber numbers.

Sky market quite cleverly, but when you go into it you don't always get the full service. ITV and ALL4 is only partial content an no apps either. Netflix is not truly integrated, they just advertise latest and must watch, you can't even go to your My List direct you still need to use the app.

I do have a Roku in the spare bedroom,  for the price it's a nice bit of kit.

My preference is BT having tried nearly everything. Some of its integration is quite slick, it's easy to find what your looking for unlike Sky with two Catchup sections and an on Demand!

Between BT and Apple I'd say nearly all if not all bases are covered and both systems produce quality sound & vision. My preference would be BT or a full BT app interface on Apple, which I believe they are working on something, they need too with Sky Go launching on Apple soon.

Anyway fingers crossed BT do sign up more app services.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

The All4 app is part of a carriage deal on Sky which means they pay extra for all the HD channels and HD on the app. BT are positioning themselves at the budget end of the range and I think this end of the market will blossom in due course because people are getting fed up of paying high prices for Sky and Virgin now.  

Message 7 of 12

@NigelB72wrote:

The All4 app is part of a carriage deal on Sky which means they pay extra for all the HD channels and HD on the app.  

The All4 app is only available on Sky Glass, they call it "All4" on Q but it is just limited curated on demand content that is downloaded to the box to view. 

The All4 app is HD on a few devices now, without a subscription, including Apple TV. 

@NigelB72wrote:

BT are positioning themselves at the budget end of the range and I think this end of the market will blossom in due course because people are getting fed up of paying high prices for Sky and Virgin now.  

I agree and disagree.

I do think as the cost of living bites people will look hard at discretionary spending like entertainment and budget hard, but I don't believe many people will see leaving one TV service just to sign up to a new 2 year contract, however flexible, for another one as an attractive proposition.

I suspect most cost conscious people will drop to Freeview (or Freesat), and then "top up" as funds/deals allow. If they really need one, they can pick up a PVR from eBay for a pittance.

If you look at the advice given by people who aim to help people save money in this space (Cordbusters UK, Money Saving Expert forums or Andy Clever Cash to name just a few), that is the recommendation. 

Do BT actually release numbers of TV service customers? 

Edited to add:

Forgot to say, +1 for a Roku device, simple, service agnostic and very reliable in my experience.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 8 of 12

@stereohaven the latest figures I can find are from 2017 and they had 1.7 million... 

Message 9 of 12

@NigelB72wrote:

@stereohaven the latest figures I can find are from 2017 and they had 1.7 million... 

Thanks for this, higher than I thought to be honest, I too would have been in that number then. Would love to be able to compare against 5 years later.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

The issue really is the business of TV providers is fragmented and lacking in detail when searching for content.

• Sky by far provide the greater content in HD but their demand service is far from complete. All4, My5, ITV Hub and I think even UKTVPLAY are slimmed down offerings.

Yes, they have Netflix, Prime, Apple+, Disney+, but they are not fully integrated but at least for these services they have the apps.

• BT has the UK content apps but only iPlayer is HD, All4, My5, ITV Hub are SD but there is full integration but SD really it's 2022!

MY5 is SD on Apple!

Freeview is limited to HD transmissions and that is clear but when it comes to streaming apps they should be HD no excuses and platforms that charge should be ensuring that apps in a quality format should be available to the consumer. Otherwise what is the point of them? Go smart TV only and save money.

0 Ratings