cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 15

Parental Control PIN mysteriously activated

Go to solution

Does anyone know how to get rid of parental controls which have suddenly been activated on my BT TV box.  I didn' t set it up, I don't want it and the so called 'help' page refers me to  section of 'MyBT' which doesn't appear in my options. Any advice appreciated

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 15

Re: Parental Control PIN mysteriously activated

Go to solution

You are probably selecting rated content to watch ahead of the  watershed so the broadcasters are following Ofcom guidelines.

Highlighted
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution
Thanks for the quick reply, is this a new regulation, it's the first time I've been asked for the PIN
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

It's been around for a few years I think @Freyalina , Sky use it with their film channels. I had it earlier with SyFy, it's rare on anything other than Sky's film channels in my experience.

Highlighted
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Why is this an Ofcom regulation though?  Can anyone explain, so I can't watch a single thing that's rated over 12 without having to put that pin in? I leave the TV on in the background and it's so frustrating having to enter a pin every time a 'mature' programme comes on, even if I've been watching that channel for hours.

What's even more pathetic is that it isn't an issue at all on the Now TV apps, watching the exact same channel. On there, if you want it off, then you can turn it off. Which is what I would expect as I don't live with anyone under 12 years of age.

Poor, poor, marketing again from BT's side. I've had "Sky" boxes work better than this.

Regards, Florian

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

That happens to me on sky one sometimes for some reason, I looked online and couldn't find any mention of how to turn it off and I randomly tried "1234" and it accepted the pin. It's happened a few times since then, very annoying. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

@FLORIAN_SCHLEIFFEN_Swrote:

Why is this an Ofcom regulation though?  Can anyone explain, so I can't watch a single thing that's rated over 12 without having to put that pin in? I leave the TV on in the background and it's so frustrating having to enter a pin every time a 'mature' programme comes on, even if I've been watching that channel for hours.

What's even more pathetic is that it isn't an issue at all on the Now TV apps, watching the exact same channel. On there, if you want it off, then you can turn it off. Which is what I would expect as I don't live with anyone under 12 years of age.

Poor, poor, marketing again from BT's side. I've had "Sky" boxes work better than this.

Regards, Florian

Because Ofcom set the broadcasting standards, they issue the broadcasting licences and have the power to fine broadcasters and/or suspend their licence if they don't adhere to the standards. That's just the way it is.

The actual ratings aren't that important as the broadcasters will just edit the content to suit the time of broadcast,  or like  ITV do with Carry On films that are a PG, edit it anyway because they fear that someone, somewhere might be offended. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

I understand that, but why do these regulations apply to Now TV channels viewed through the BT EPG, but not the exact same channels viewed through the Now TV app on the exact same YouView box. On the app side, I have the option of disabling PIN control if I wanted to.

Furthermore, if this is some arbitrary regulation that applies to "broadcast" only, then why did I never need a PIN to watch Deadliest Catch on the Discovery channel with Sky for the last 10 years?

Regards

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

You can disable pin control with the BT Box, but as with Sky I believe it does not totally turn pin control off, Sky Cinema is an example unless something has changed.

I've never needed a pin to watch Deadliest Catch on Discovery through BT so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with that. I have no idea about Now TV or if there are any differences with regard to regulations for that service.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Are you using BT's own TV packages or the new Now TV-based service? On the "classic" BT TV, pins were never an issue apart from on cinema channels, like Sky. But for some reason everything rated 12+ on the same channels through the "New BT TV" (that I upgraded to) is locked regardless of settings. One example is Deadliest Catch like I mentioned.

My question to whoever is in charge is, if this is an Ofcom regulation, then why does it not apply to the same channels on the classic BT TV or indeed the Now TV ones when viewed on another device?

It is so frustrating having to enter a pin every time a new programme comes on, to the point that I'm just watching them through YouView's Now TV app. I thought the whole point of going through BT was to have the premium channels in the same EPG as the freeview ones. I'd be better paying for Now TV itself.

Regards

0 Ratings