cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
momoe
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Parental controls

I'm a new customer to BT and have just been informed that the new Youview TV boxes do not have the ability to block selected channels. This function was present on the old models but is no longer a function.

As a parent, I find this difficult as I have no control over what channels my children watch (or record), I can put a pin on the recordings but I now have to monitor what they watch on the TV.

Is it possible to reintroduce this feature as I there are certain programmes that are age inappropriate for my kids and whilst it would be great to block specific programmes, I accept that channel blocking is the only way to go but it's been removed.

(Used to be yellow button on guide to make selected channels pin only)

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Parental controls

I've so far avoided this new update but there is a Parental Control setting I believe that hides "Adult" channels.

Also I think that the ability to hide other channels will be re-introduced in the near future.

If you've not had the update on your new YV box then it might be possible to avoid it , see this thread on the YV Community website - Block YouView Updates

0 Ratings
momoe
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for the info, the software update referred to, is this a software or firmware update?

If it's a software update, I should be able to factory reset the box and stop the upgrade but if it's firmware it becomes a lot more difficult as I would need an image of the old firmware (or fool the box into thinking that the firmware upgrade has failed to it reverts to the previous version)

0 Ratings
momoe
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

As regards the parental control option, this relies on the broadcast having the correct rating. I'm trying to block 'Love island' which is broadcast by ITV2, set the rating to pin required for over 15's and it doesn't do a damn thing.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

If it's updated (either software or firmware - not sure there's a distinction on the YV boxes ) then that's it , there's nothing to be done.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

@momoe wrote:

As regards the parental control option, this relies on the broadcast having the correct rating. I'm trying to block 'Love island' which is broadcast by ITV2, set the rating to pin required for over 15's and it doesn't do a damn thing.

Maybe for this you need to head over to the Youview Community & raise the issue there as this maybe a feature omission with the NextGen version.

I've never needed to use this & don't have NextGen so I can't comment.

0 Ratings
momoe
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Tim, thought this was in Youview boxes section.
I've spoken to BT and apparently this feature was lost with the NG box upgrade.
It a may be re-introduced in a future upgrade.
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

This is the Youview section but the YouView community website is run by Youview so far better access to help & information.

0 Ratings
Dheron19
Message 9 of 9

Yes this option to block channels was also on Sky and very disappointed that I have just BT but do not have that option. Hiding is not good enough, as easily unhidden as well ☹️ and it leaves it easy to watch inappropriate channels.

0 Ratings