cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
melvink
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Picture breakup

Since the Freeview retune on 27th March I have been experiencing intermittent blank screen and pixcelation on Freeview channels received through my Youview box. The problem occurs approximately every 10 minutes, persists for 2 seconds and then the picture quality is absolutely fine. The signal strength and quality as reported by the box are both 99%. The problem is only manifest on signals received through the box as the picture onthe TV which uses the same aerial does not seem to exhibit the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Picture breakup

Welcome to this user forum. @melvink 

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/49692/~/bad-quality-or-missing-freeview-channels-on-b...

Changes in transmitter power levels could be resulting in signal overload, so it may be worth dropping the signal level slightly, using an attenuator.

Similar thread https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/Missing-HD-Channels-on-Youview-Box/m-p/1937748#M50889

0 Ratings
melvink
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Thanks for the suggestion Keith - I will try an attenuate.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

@melvink wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion Keith - I will try an attenuate.

Its always worth a try, it sometimes helps, espacially if it one mux which is causing an overload.

You can get a fixed value one, or a variable one like this.

variable_attenuator.jpg

If you search sites like Amazon, for LOOPS Aerial Coaxial Cable Variable Attenuator,  or Philex Variable TV Signal Attenuator

The other possibility is 4G interference. See https://at800.tv/guide/4g-filters-guide/

0 Ratings
melvink
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

I have tried an attenuater and unfortunately it has not made any difference. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

@melvink wrote:

I have tried an attenuater and unfortunately it has not made any difference. 

The other possibility is 4G interference. See https://at800.tv/guide/4g-filters-guide/

Or you could have a faulty box.

0 Ratings
Mark_D
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

I have *exactly* the same issue. Since 27th March Freeview HD channels break up every 10 mins for 1-2 seconds. The signal strength/quality meters go to zero for a moment, then everything OK for the next 10 mins.

This does not happen on SD channels, only Freeivew HD. All subscription channels are fine.

BT replaced the STB and the new box (manufactured several years apart) displays the same fault.

Freeview sent out an aerial engineer who has signed off on the aerial, cabling and signal quality (100%). He has fitted a 3db attenuator and 4g filter. Made no difference. I can time the issue with my watch - it's almost exactly every 10 mins. 

There are no splitters or boosters, the aerial cable goes from the aerial into the BT STB then out and to the TV. The Samsung TV does not have any problems using the same signal.

All this since the re-tune on 27th March. Will be interesting to see what the BT TV engineer says tomorrow. My hunch is that it's a software glitch in the YouView box somewhere (given the predictability and repetitiveness of the fault), but who knows!

0 Ratings
Mark_D
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

I meant to add, it’s 10 mins from the point you start watching the channel, so every time you change channel you reset the timer.

0 Ratings
melvink
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

Thanks so much for your post. I was beginning to despair and will wait eagerly to hear what your BT engineer has to say.

0 Ratings
Mark_D
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Out of interest and to determine if there’s any geographical link, whereabouts are you roughly? I’m In Weymouth on the South Coast. 

0 Ratings