cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TC_Hemel
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Picture pixalating even after installing an attenuator and turning signal strength to 90%

It's an adjustable 20db attenuator, is there any guide as to what signal strength % it should be turned down to?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
TC_Hemel
Beginner
Message 2 of 9

Picture pixalating after TV attenuator installed, signal strength turn down to 90%

Is there any guidelines as to what the optimum signal strength should be?   I have purchased a 20db adjustable attenuator but the records do still occassional pixilate at 90%

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Re: Picture pixalating after TV attenuator installed, signal strength turn down to 90%

You should aim for a signal level of about 70-80% with a signal quality of 100%.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

Re: Picture pixalating after TV attenuator installed, signal strength turn down to 90%

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

You should aim for a signal level of about 70-80% with a signal quality of 100%.

I disagree with that statement about signal strength now , that was the case with OldGen - the list based version. But the calculation of signal strength was rewritten for NextGen - god knows why - meaning that now you aim for 90% +. Trouble is you now don't know if the signal is too strong.

As an example with OldGen my units would hit about 65% , but with 100% signal quality. When the NextGen software was installed that 65% shot up to 92%.

What I've found with lower strength figures is that on a re-tune I miss some channels, not ones I watch so not too bothered.

Obviously the major factor is 100% quality.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

I am still on the OldGen, thank goodness, as I block any updates. My wife, who uses the TV the most, would not like NewGen, as she likes the way recordings are presented as lists.

Fair point about the signal levels, the main thing is to find the minimum signal strength you can tolerate, while maintaining a quality of 100%, this is going to vary between muxes.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

@Keith_Beddoe

I've still got 1 unit on OldGen as I also block updates but the annoying thing is that it suffers from the failed recordings issue introduced in April '18 when connected to the internet.

And NextGen is not getting better as the focus seems to be functionality that most don't want/like while not re-introducing what was lost with the "upgrade".

Tim

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

@TC_Hemel

Back to your problem.

Some questions for you.

1. Why did you feel the need for an attenuator?

2. Is it every channel affected or just some & if so which?

3.Is the picture OK on your TV?

4. Without the attenuator what level of strength & quality were you getting on the channels which now break up?

5. What transmitter are receiving from & approx how far are you from it? Can you give your postcode , leaving off the last character.

The TV tuners on the YouView boxes not as resilient as those on TVs & are more susceptible to lack of strength or quality.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

Just another thought/question.

Does the aerial feed go via the YouView box , ie into it & then out to the TV or do you have a splitter before that that feeds TV & Youview box separately?

The only reason I've ever used an attenuator has been to reduce the signal strength so that when I retune I only pick up the strongest signals, then removing the attentuator. Note that my signal strength isn't the greatest as I'm over 40km from the transmitter.

0 Ratings
TC_Hemel
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Hi Tim,

1) I failed to mention I have a splitter / amplifier in the loft.
2) It's mainly BBC1 and ITV where we notice the problem
3) Yes
4) 100%
5) Bedmond. Approximately 8 miles as the crow flys. HP1 2DN

Kind regards,
Tony
0 Ratings