cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lisley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Pink screen - is it software or do I just need a new box?

We've been getting the dreaded pink screen on start up of our BT YouView box for about 6 months now along with YVM607 messages (since the Dec 2015 update?). We have had the DTRT1000 (as part of the BT TV package) for 3 years and before that no problems at all. It has now got to the stage where it is happening almost every time it is started up. The only cure is to switch the box off and try again, sometimes multiple times.  The latest development is just a completely blank screen on start up.

This is clearly a known issue and so we have tried many things suggested on both this forum and the Humax forum but to no avail.  There was a software update from Humax in June but this issue persists.

What would be really helpful is to know whether this is my Humax box slowly dying or just a software issue.  I don't want to get another box and end up with the same problem.  I am trying this forum as it has been really helpful in the past. 

Many thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
rarmitage124
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Pink screen - is it software or do I just need a new box?

Hello and welcome back,

Yes this is an issue that seems to persist on the older Youview boxes. I have used this fix in the past and it worked:

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/you_view_box

If it doesnt work I suspect you may need the new youview box

If my post has been useful, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If I have answered your question correctly please let me know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution' Thanks
0 Ratings
MrShpak
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Also, this usually means that the hdmi cable is slowly dying. Change the cable to a new one. Should help and doesn't cost a lot.
0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

I have seen a similar issue where the problem was down to the order that the TV and YV box were started in.

Assuming that the TV is off (or in standby) and the YV box is in standby, the TV had to be on before the YV box was moved from standby to on.

0 Ratings
Lisley
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

First of all thanks to you all for your responses and apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

Shorter HDMI lead - I swapped the cable for a shorter one and this seemed to consistently work for a while but then the magic wore off.  I can't imagine that the new lead can have degraded so quickly.

Order of switching TV/YV box/soundbar on/off - this has appeared to work in the past but not consistently.

We are now at the stage where last night the YVM607 message popped up in the middle of watching something (as usual!) and the YV box just hung.  So we turned the YV box off and back on to reboot and it still hung.  Several reboots (including TV, and soundbar) made no difference so we were back to Freeview on the TV.  Yet just now it was all working again.

I am now thinking that the inconsistent response to these multiple fixes is down to the YV box itself and/or the software updates to it.  So I think I need a new box to test this but I don't know what kind of box it needs to be.  Does it have to be a BT YV box in order to watch BT Sport and my BT TV entertainment package?  If it doesn't need to come from BT then does it have to be a particular kind of recorder?

I'm getting so fed up with this having already been without BT TV for a whole month due to problems at the Exchange earlier in the year.  Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
empress48
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

I am having the same issues.

I always switch on the TV before the Youview box. The HDMI cable is a fairly new one and it wasn't a cheap one by any means.

I mainly use the Youview box to watch BT Sport HD.

I know when I switch it on and have a pink screen I will have other issues too.

Losing sound for a few seconds and a couple of minutes later then the picture goes all pixelated for about the same amount of time.

I occasionally had issues with the box complaining about a too slow connection. That was "hilarous" as it is connceted with BT Infinity 2 on the fastest connection.

When I restart the Youview box everything goes back to normal and I can watch for hours without issues.

Until the next day when everything starts all over again. *sighs*

0 Ratings
Highlighted
empress48
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

I did a test.

I changes to HDMI cable to the newest one I have and plugged it into a different HDMI socket.

Result = no change the issue persists.

Next test I switched the box off at the back and left it for 5+ minutes, switched it back on and started the box.

Result = no pink screen, no sound cut outs and no picture issues.

Next day I turned it on as normal and the issue returned. Switch it off at the back, restarted and the problem was gone.

Next day I switched it off at the back before I turned it on and it worked fine.

This is what I am doing now. First switch it off completely and then start it. It seems the only solution that fixes it.

0 Ratings