cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

Placing an order for BT TV over FTTP without the BT Smart Hub

Go to solution

Evening all, hoping someone can clarify this one for me...

I had FTTP installed a few weeks ago. I held off switching my TV service over from Sky because of the amount of hassle getting the fibre installed was, but tonight I spoke with someone in the ‘value team’ to look at adding it.

The person I spoke with said that my line was reporting it might be too slow for BT TV - I’ve got the 900meg service, plenty of headroom there. I did a speed test with her on the line - pulling down just over 900 connected from iMac by ethernet directly to the router. 

I happened to mention I was using my own router, and this seemed to give her cause to think this was the problem. After speaking to her manager, she came back to say this was the reason she couldn’t place the order. 

I know the service works through the kit I’m using, after reading the helpful comments on here - I wasn't expecting to have an issue with ordering. 

I offered to connect the router so they could do their checks... the reply was that wasn't going to work either. It needs to be connected permanently. 

The girl did her best, but essentially she was just passing on what she’d been told and she couldn't transfer me to someone technical. I got the impression that I understood more about how the service worked than she did, and that's never makes me feel confident. 

Unfortunately it's a deal breaker to switch back to the BT Hub, so I might just keep TV with Sky, but seeing as this isn't something I'd heard before, I thought I'd ask. 

Cheers

DS

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: Placing an order for BT TV over FTTP without the BT Smart Hub

Go to solution

To have BT TV you need a minimum speed of 24 mbps, the system checks you meet this criteria before allowing an order to be raised, using a 3rd party hub will confuse the system as it won't get a speed report back, if you use it for a few days, then call it will allow for the order, once activated just swap back to your own hub.

Check your hub supports multicast for the internet channels to work though, not all do.