cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GarethW
Expert
Message 1 of 10

Pointless, useless AMC

So AMC's new US drama series 'Preacher' is going to be aired exclusively on Amazon Prime. What's the point of a tie-up with a channel that doesn't own the international distribution rights to its programmes?
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Pointless, useless AMC

Yes I have to agree. I thought the first few 'Into the Badlands' etc were just because they were in the process before the deal was done but now it still appears AMC are selling off to the highest bidder for International rights, so what is the point of getting tied into a deal with a channel whose global distribution is a tiny percentage of its home channel. BT would have been better starting it's own BT1 channel and just bidding for individual series from a range of distributers. I know they have been blinkered by getting the 'Fear the Walking Dead' series (which is a great series to have exclusive) but at what cost? I would love someone in the know to explain exactly what the deal entered into with AMC is but obviously we will never find that out...
0 Ratings
jam2000
Expert
Message 3 of 10

The other good new shows they are showing are Rectify and Manhattan. It does seem strange that The Preacher has gone to Amazon and not coming to AMC.
0 Ratings
GarethW
Expert
Message 4 of 10

You don't see Sky having the same problems with its HBO/Showtime tie-ups.

0 Ratings
Keith75
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

It's a poor excuse of a channel, one look at the official BARB viewing figures tell you all you need to know. If it wasn't for FTWD you would be able to fit its viewers in a phone box.
0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 6 of 10

AMC although an ok channel it has not been as big a hit as Sky Atantic I think. Plus being a part time channel and selling some shows to other broadcasters has not been great.
Also as said above Sky don't seem to have the same problems with there HBO/Showtime tie ups.
Maybe in time AMC will improve. Also with Rumers been going around about BT to start an entertainment channel it may happen over the next year.
Even the like of Netflix has a good choice of TV box sets.

Darren
0 Ratings
tassiekev
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Have to agree with all of the above. When I signed up to BT it was 1. because of football; 2. Tivo was driving me mad. I'm quite happy with the BB & sport but when I signed on, AMC looked promising and Fox was also available. All I record on the BT box now is Rectify & Manhattan - even Manhattan has been cancelled so this is the last series. I'm wondering where I go from here. Rumors of a BT 'entertainment' channel don't quite cut it - don't really fancy Paul Scholes as a song & dance man with Robbie Savage doing the stand-up.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

@ney wrote:
AMC although an ok channel it has not been as big a hit as Sky Atantic I think. Plus being a part time channel and selling some shows to other broadcasters has not been great.

Darren

BT have thrown it in for free with BT Sport.  It's never going to be in the same league as Sky Atlantic.

0 Ratings
rscott
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 10

Sky throw Sky Atlantic in with all their TV bundles..
They signed an exclusive deal for all HBO content over the next few years (think it's 5) to make sure they didn't lose UK rights to anything. Seems like AMC is a very, very poor equivalent.
0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 10 of 10

Well i've spent half of my first months savings by switching from Sky on S1 of Game of Thrones on BluRay ( £10 from ebay). Should keep me going for a while 🙂 Not sure about AMC channel, it has Breaking Bad but I'm watching that on Netflix any way.  I seem to watch Nat. Geo. and Discovery most of the time, Sky was wasted on me?

0 Ratings