cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Poor Streaming of ITV HUB

Go to solution

Hopefully this the right board for this enquiry, if not please advise where to direct it.

Does any one else have trouble streaming ITV HUB and if so what have they been able to do to improve matters? I've been in dialog with ITV Customer & Viewer Services for a while and they're adamant that there their app is OK and all problems are down to the users; device(s), data rate, WiFi/Router, WiFi/Router to device connection, IP and so on. I've provided on numerous occasions details of devices the problem appears on, screen shots of app from smart TV, details of the internet connection. They seem to be incapable of accepting the fact that the problem only exists on ITV HUB - BBC iPlayer, All4, MY5, NETFLIX and NOW as examples all perform faultlessly even when two or three devices are online. ITV Customer & Viewer Services current go to advice position is contacted my IP. This I did, it being BT, and as a result of the conversations had I was able to establish that my FTTC line was good and the achievable speed mirrored what I'm able to measure and is more than adequate for the purpose. During the course of one the conversation it became apparent that what I'm experiencing is far from unique and often features in BT customer enquiries.

As said at the beginning, is any one able to offer anything since viewing a two hour programme with the buffering and often necessary relaunch of the app which seemingly gives rise to an endless period of ads before a resume - if you're lucky - can take a further half hour?

Regards, StewartC

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Poor Streaming of ITV HUB

Go to solution

ITV Hub is a **bleep** on every single platform I have ever seen it on, but no one (especially ITV) are going to do anything about it because it is due to be replaced next month with ITVX.

I'm not sure there is anything anyone can do, hopefully ITVX will be far superior, especially as it has been completely rebuilt from the ground up.

————————————————————-
BT Smart Hub 2 | Halo 3+ | Digital Voice | Sky Q | Apple TV 4K | LG OLED
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Many thanks for that reply. Why on earth couldn't the ITV Customer & Viewer Services simply have said that in the last couple of weeks, I could have saved time and effort.

I look forward to the roll-out.

Again, thanks.

Regards, Stewart C

Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

I've been complaining to ITV Hub 'Support' about it for weeks, and before that in fact. 

They (ITV Hub Support) are in denial and try to insist it's down to the customers device etc.  They typically ask stupid questions to try and fob people off, even blaming my Wi-Fi when it's a wired connection.  If you don't answer their pointless questions they email to say they assume your issue has gone away.

We are currently on Virgin Broadband and have tried with different devices including Samsung TV, BT Box, Virgin Box etc. so it's irrespective of broadband supplier/ISP.

The typical issue I see are at the end of an advert break (when ad insertion 'AI' has been used) it won't return to the programme, with blank screen or spinning icon, until you reboot and have to watch yet more adverts.  Or general buffering, even on a fast broadband connection.

It seems worse with popular programmes/box sets or at peak viewing times - like the platform isn't dimensioned properly.

If you look on public review sites there are scores of bad ratings for it.

One 'solution' offered is to pay for the advert free service.  We have been lucky to have Virgin Media catchup as an alternative (fewer adverts for ITV content) but we are ceasing that - we will just avoid using the ITV Hub.

I have even tried reporting it to Ofcom on the basis of illegal number/length of adverts shown and general service, but they don't seem interested.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

ITVX Seems no better,  **bleep** app for streaming currently

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

ITV X just as bad I'm afraid.

Waste of time.

TOTALLY p*ssed me off.