cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 11 of 20

Re: Poor signal and missing channels

@richierich691wrote:

Yes that is correct. Both box’s signal strength and quality are the same.

The 2 TVs in the house that used to have sky used the dish for all channels. The other 6 TVs in the house always used the roof aerial to run freeview as it does today without any issues.

I have no idea about a power converter. Not technically minded sorry.

I have no idea about a power converter. Not technically minded sorry. The distribution amp will require a source of power just like any other electrical appliance, the question then is does it work straight of the mains or is it connected to a device similar to a mobile phone charger?

You said earlier that when you bypassed the distribution system that you only got 13 channels, but in your last post you said the other 6 TV's were working correctly, are you absolutely certain that you tuned the boxes in to the strongest transmitter for your area?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 12 of 20

The distributor runs off mains power direct from box. No transformer.

Yes that is correct the freeview built in to the 6 TVs receive every channel available but I have just noticed that a few of them are actually pixelating.

Can I check what transmitter the boxes are tuned to?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 13 of 20

Easy way is to look on the TV guide for the local news programs on BBC1 and ITV.

Alternatively you could re-tune, at the end of the tuning process will be asked to select your region etc.

If the other TVs' are also pixelating then I would say you need a new aerial and/or distribution amp

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 14 of 20

I have just tried a re-tune and it doesn’t ask to select the ruin at the end of the process.

If I try the low cost option first i.e a new distribution amp, is there a particular model you would recommend? Needs to be 8 way with fm and uhf in.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 15 of 20

With you not being technical, it's probably best to start with what you have. By that I mean keep the same kind of terminations (connections) that you already have, this should make the job easier.

My preferred brand would be Labgear, but they tend to terminate in 'F'  connectors (the same type of connector your dish uses to connect to your Sky box). Others use ordinary UHF sockets (such as the aerial input on the back of your TV).

To keep the job as simple as you can I would recommend checking if the model you currently have is still available.

How old is your aerial and how exposed are you where you are? Sometimes its just a case of water getting into the terminal block on the aerial and/or wind causing movement in the co-ax where it terminates on the aerial, the middle core of the cable then snaps and simply needs to be re-made

Did you check that your aerial is pointing in the same direction as you neighbours?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 16 of 20

I agree but I cannot find a Labgear 8 way distribution amp with rf (uhf) connections. I have however found one by a manufacturer called SLX. Are you familiar with them?

There is a Labgear LDA2081LR which is 8 way but has the f type connections. But I have noticed you can buy f type to rf connection adaptors. Would these do the job?

The aerial is about 8 to 10 years old. This was upgraded when tv turned to digital. My current distributor is an 8 way by Fringe Electronics, this was upgraded the same time as the aerial. We have actually bypassed this and I got a weaker signal. This is why I’m in 2 minds whether or not to replace.

The aerial is pointing in the same direction as our neighbours.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 17 of 20

You won't find a Labgear one that use UHF plugs. If I wwas doing the job, I would re-terminate the aerial cable in F connectors rather than mess about with adapters. 

Yes, I am familiar with SLX.

8 -10 years is nothing for a TV aerial these days, mine is about the same age and I have no complaints.

I'm starting to think you've got water ingress inside the co-ax cable outside or a bad connection where it connects to the aerial

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 18 of 20

I’ve have found the problem. I purchased pre assembled coaxial rf cables from eBay for both bt tv boxes. I thought I would just try the rf cables from one of the other rooms just to eliminate the cables and I can now receive most of the channels and near on perfect signal.

I wouldn’t of guessed it was the new cables.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 19 of 20

Super!

I would just like to mention it took 40 seconds to find a Labgear on a well known internet site! May not be the precise model suggested by @V_Meldrew - he might confirm.

LABGEAR MSA282 8+1 FM/UHF AMP AMPLIFIER Lagear MSA282/S VHF/UHF Aerial Amp 8 way amplifier 2 input / 8 output Distribution amplifier with line-power facility Ideal for distributing RF signals to 8 different lcoations 12V 50mA line power for masthead amplifiers Full gain output: 18dB Gain: 8dB per Port Noise figure: 5dB Built in Tetra Filter Freq range: 87.5 - 230MHz and 44 -862MHz

Features & details

8 Way

2 inputs

Built in Tetra Filter

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 20 of 20

I suggested labgear as a brand, I did not suggest any particular model, the OP asked me if that model would do the job.

0 Ratings