cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stmterrace
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Poor youview quality channels!

Recently changed over from TalkTalk to BT and broadband is all ok but with the new BTYouview box plugged in the picture quality of the no HD freeview channels is no where near as good as the old TalkTalk youview box. All the HD channels etc and subscription channels all very good but its just the standard freeview channels which suffer.

Have searched the forums and seems like others have suffered but cant eally see anyone has resolved this.

Have switched the boxes back etc and signal is so much better on the TalkTalk box with all the settings unchanged.

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
NigelB72
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Poor youview quality channels!

Do the Talk Talk boxes have 1 or 2 tuners? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 8

Hi @stmterrace ,

Assuming you are not having issues with the signal quality of the Freeview SD channels or interference the difference you are noticing may be down to  how  and where the upscaling  Is done

The Freeview SD channels would be 576p  input , but The  Youview box output and  your Tv displays are most likely set to other higher values.  

0 Ratings
robotman1
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

I'm a bit confused. First off, the title of the thread references Youview channels but the body of the post mentions standard def Freeview channels. As the OP has also mentioned  the signal is so much better on the TalkTalk box are we actually talking about signal levels from the aerial and not the quality of pictures from a perfectly working aerial? Maybe they could get back and explain for us?

0 Ratings
NigelB72
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

I think he's on ropey signal quality or strength and afaik the talktalk boxes are non recordable and only have single tuners

robotman1
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

That's how I read it too. Thanks @NigelB72 

stmterrace
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Ok let's clear up the confusion that has appeared from my original post.

I have both the new Bt youview box which has replaced my previous TalkTalk youview box.

Same antenna/aerial and same tv, same hdmi cable so only difference is the box.

Same signal strength reported on all the channels.

All Hd channels all ok.

All Sd channels all ok no break up but the picture on some of the Sd youview channels are the best way I can describe are a bit soft i. e the rugby on itv 4 earlier.

Not sure how similar the boxes are but my old TalkTalk box actually sets its self up as a Bt box with the Bt player etc so must use similar software and it has the option to record just to confirm one of the other replies and also has dual tuners.

So bottom line is that no problem with signal quality etc just poor picture quality from what the other box displays.

0 Ratings
robotman1
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

Your box sets up onscreen branding according to who your broadband provider us, so in your case BT. You would however be getting updates according to your box brand and number, see here https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/latest-software-versions/

0 Ratings