cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
geedon
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Port forwarding - Enable YouView to work between 2 home networks

I have 2 networks in my home, the main BT network which is for things directly connected to my BT home hub starting with IP address 172... or whatever it defaults to. This network provides my out going broadband connection and has my upstairs YouView TV connected. That YouView box works fine. The issue is that my downstairs YouView box doesn't work unless its hard wired into the BT home hub. To clarify the subscription channels requiring a connection don't work the box generally works for terrestrial TV.

I run a separate, secured, network 192.168.1.. on 2 separate Turris Omnia routers (running LuCI - OpenWRT), one upstairs and one downstairs which are hard wired together and allow me to have fully encrypted traffic, wifi and otherwise, throughout my home via permanent VPN connections which tunnel through my home hub.  Works a treat but my YouView box downstairs, cannot be connected directly into the home hub as I'd have to run another ethernet cable which is not really an option and my house is 200+ years old and has 2 electrical phases, the old part and the new extension. So, before anyone suggests I use ethernet over power cables, that is not going to work across the phases, I've tried it and its simply not stable enough. 

So, the goal is to get my YouView box working via my separate network. When I connect it to my VPN network, it says its connected and even finds the subscription channels when searching but when I try to view any of them I get a generic error. According to my googling its that same old generic error you get when your speed is too low and no, its not, I've tested it and its about 50Mb/s. I've also proven that the device works fine if I plug a wire directly into my home hub. 

So, the YouView box requires more than just an internet connection of adequate speed. I've seen references to ports it needs to function but the technical information available is ridiculously oversimplified. If it needs ports mapped to work, what are they?

I should mention that even when the VPN is disabled on my second network and I have perfectly usable internet connection which works downstairs for my Amazon Fire TV and Apple TV the YouView STILL doesn't work, so its more than a VPN restriction. However, if VPN is going to be a restriction on top WTH!

How can this be fixed? Some people have more complicated setups than 1 home hub and a 2 up 2 down house.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Port forwarding - Enable YouView to work between 2 home networks

@geedon 

The BT/Youview subscription channels are sent via Multicast transmission - not something I am able to explain btw - and anything in the network needs to be able to handle these transmissions.

My guess , stress guess, is that the Turris Omnia routers do not support this form of transmission so the downstairs box just won't work for the subscription channels. If the catchup services like BBC iPlayer work on that box then there's no issue with the internet connectivity which would tend to support my guess/theory.

0 Ratings
geedon
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the reply but a Turris Omnia is a as advanced as a router gets its a Unix PC and is capable of anything a BusyBox based unix OS is capable of. So, its certainly not a limitation of my hardware I simply need to know the requirements of the YouView box beyond "plug it in" which is about as complicated as the manufacturers would imply with their laughable technical guide.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

@geedon 

Doing a quick search using "Does a Turris Omnia router support multicast" does seem to suggest you need some extra code in your configuration for OpenWRT to support BT TV subscription channels.

Here are a couple of links I found:-

1. OpenWRT & IPTV

2. Multicast for IPTV

I'd be pretty sure that this is the area that needs looking at.

0 Ratings
geedon
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Hi Tim, thanks again for this. It certainly looks like you're onto something and I notice that some people have referred to a testing method to prove this is working by using rtp://234.81.130.4:5802 with VLC. Though this server is no longer available by the looks of it. It doesn't work on my laptop when plugged directly into the home hub, even when the YouView box does, so I'm guessing the service is no longer provided.

I've gone through the basic motions described without luck, but as I don't trust the YouView box to to give me even the correct error code I'd certainly prefer to use something independent to prove that multicast is functioning as required. Is there something like this old VLC test that can be used?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
peskdale61
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

I had some* success recently getting a Homehub 5 modded with OpenWRT to work with YouView. Instructions here were very helpful: https://openwrt.ebilan.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=132&start=10#p1009

Not sure how useful the above is in your case though. and you might need to swap out kmod-bridge for kmod-nft-bridge

(*For some reason, I was having a wierd bandwidth problem that meant recording one channel and watching another caused both to have major dropouts. Possibly just the HH not having enough grunt)

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

@geedon 

Deinitely out of my area of expertise but there is plenty of stuff on the VideoLan forums about multicast which might be helpful - if you've the time. You might find some current test server.

0 Ratings