Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Power line adapters

Go to solution

Help!  I have BT multiroom and for the last couple of weeks I have not been able to connect my box upstairs using a BT Power line adapter (black).  I can connect to my main box by the same type of Power line adapter which is in another room to my hub.  They are on different electricity rings, but it has worked in the past!  Using a Netgear switch I can connect and get BT player and catch up, just not the extra internet channels live upstairs.  I know there are newer adapters that BT provide but can you connect two boxes (which are in different rooms).  Can anyone help me?!  Thank you 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Message 2 of 9

Re: Power line adapters

Go to solution

@dfel100 With the second box subscription it is recommended both boxes are connected via ethernet cable and not powerline adapters. The switch would need to be compatible with multicast signals and that's likely the reason why the internet channels are not working whilst using the switch.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

@dfel100Taking  what @NeilO has said a step further.

The problem with a lot of switches is that they don't support IGMP snooping which is  what Neil is referring to. What this means is that a non-supporting switch doesn't know where to broadcast the incoming multicast signal to & floods every port on the switch which in turn can affect other devices like Sky Q , for example. What it would do to PLAs is anybody's guess.

A good , compatible switch is a TP-Link TL-SG105 at about £15-£20 which is unmanaged and a straightforward plug&play.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks Tim Curtis, that's really helpful, I think I will try that.  Does it matter that I have two boxes on power line adapters?  Do the TP links come with a double port feature, like I have now? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Hi TimCurtis, I received the uplink today which I connected and it still doesn't let me view the live extra channels.  I basically took it out of the box, powered up and plugged one Ethernet in from the Netgear and another Ethernet from the TPLink into my by youview box.  Am I doing something wrong.  The power line adapters have always worked in the past!  I wish BT would bring out a box that was wireless.  Any help you can provide would be great.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@dfel100

Let's step back a bit here.

In the past have you been able to view the subscription channels upstairs in the past?

You have 3 Powerline adapters , are they exactly the same model?

Both Youview boxes are connected to the PLAs directly or via switches.?

If you disconnect the downstairs YV box from the switch/PLA or turn off it's PLA will upstairs work?

What if you have PLAs direct to YV boxes in both rooms without going through switches?

Normal catchup is available on both YV boxes?

PLAs should work as BT can supply a 3 pack for multi-room installations.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Sorry for the delay in replying.  I have two boxes both connected by power line adapters (all purchased from BT and same models), previously both working no problems.  Both boxes are connected directly to PLAs.  If I disconnect downstairs this does not affect upstairs box capability.  Catch up operates downstairs not upstairs.  Does that help?  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

If catch-up upstairs doesn't work then that probably means that the upstairs PLA isn't talking to the downstairs ones. Maybe it just needs re-pairing.

Some other thoughts/suggestions.

Does the upstairs box say it's connected to the internet?

Could you try switching the boxes around temporarily to rule out an issue with the box?

Do you have a laptop that you could connect by ethernet to the upstairs PLA to see if it can connect to the internet?

Have you had any changes made to your mains circuits , like a new consumer unit perhaps?

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks TimCurtis.  In late from work so will try the box and laptop connections and will let you know.  Thanks again for your help.

0 Ratings