cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 8

Pressing blue home button, shortcuts on non HD

When I press the blue home button on my UHD box on the guide menu it lists BBC1 ITV, CH4 CH5 and others if scroll along. 

However clicking on them it goes to the no. had channels like 1,3,4,5 and not 101.103.104,105. I have also hid the non Hd channeled of these so they don’t even appear in the long list guide. 

I don’t see the point of them showing me the HD so how can you change the shortcuts to HD version? It’s 2020 now, SD is very very old. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: Pressing blue home button, shortcuts on non HD

@QoQ 

What I believe is displayed is BBC choice of channel , ITV choice of channel, Channel 4 choice of channel, Channel 5 choice of Channel, BTTV  choice of channel , then the next 5 channels not previously displayed in EPG order.

(maybe slight variation outside of England)

The traditional broadcasters collectively still give prominance to the SD channels in guides and position in the EPG.

the BT TV choice of channel does change  at different times of the day and may include HD but currently that is the only slot in the 10 that they influence.

YorkshireLakeside
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Completely agree, not very smart these boxes. It’s only software and someone, somewhere has made a very bad decision.

just sort YouView.

0 Ratings
QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

We’ll seems a bad decision whoever has to choose SD in 2020, not like HD has just started and no one can get it. 

I’ve even hid the SD yet the shortcuts works, why? Can agree with other content, that’s fine. 

As said it’s a simple software change, who can we contact to suggest?

0 Ratings
scointer
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

Totally agree but sadly it is not that easy to change 😞 If you had only HD variants on the list people with SD only would get nothing (rather than just the poor resolution version HD/UHD owners get). Also because YouView is part owned by BBC, ITV, CH4, CH5, BT, TalkTalk and Arqiva they have to each have a tile in the main list prominent positions which stops you be able to implement a channel shuffle to suit yourself. Never easy when a project has multiple masters 😞

The 'very' small workaround that was implemented was if you press the 'i' button when on the channel mini screen one of the options is 'Watch live in HD', sadly this only works on BBC and CH5 we are told that is because the PSB's don't put in the required info and sadly recently that only works intermittently on BBC.

4F53CCB3-802D-4F97-B6F9-57AADB6E11DF.jpeg

QoQ
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 8

Yes but these are just placeholders, shortcuts to channel numbers. 

0 Ratings
stereohaven
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

@QoQwrote:

As said it’s a simple software change, who can we contact to suggest?

This has been raised numerous times over many years on the YouView forums and raising it won't get you anywhere.

The answer they always give (as mentioned by @zulu17 ), is they can't change it because the public broadcasters get to choose and they have decided (due to stats they get from Ofcom allegedly), that the vast majority of viewers still watch the SD versions of those channels, not HD, so they should be the priority.

I'm with you, I don't understand why anyone watches anything in SD these days but apparently we are still in a minority. 

When you base your TV offering around Freeview, you have very little control and have to rely heavily on the broadcasters, when channels have to pay you to be on your platform you can do much more, which is why Sky have the SD/HD channels swap.

0 Ratings
YorkshireLakeside
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

The stats will always show in favour of SD instead of HD because that is the default. 

This is making my viewing pleasure a pain in the.. 

#fixed

0 Ratings