cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LesC
Expert
Message 1 of 18

Problems with Freeview channels cutting out

Over the past few days I've noticed the picture going blank for a second or so and the odd pixellation issues on Freeview channels on the Youview+ box. Usually it's rock solid, never noticed any problems. Whilst checking the signal strength I could see both strength & quality drop to zero as the picture went blank. The Freeview reception on the TV has not been affected; only the Youview box. Internet channels fine too.

So, I've been trough all the usual checks; unplugged aerial cable - wasn't loose, reset Youview box & retuned - same number of channels found. Early days but so far not cutouts but time will tell - I don't understand why a retune would make any difference though?

As to signal strength, I can't recall what it was before but currently shows as fluctuating between around 52 to 57% for SD channels & a little better, 64 - 66% for HD channels, both with 100% quality. Is this typical for a BT Youview box? My TV's Freeview tuner shows around 90% for signal strength/100% quality & the strength doesn't appear to fluctuate so much.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Problems with Freeview channels cutting out

LesC
Expert
Message 3 of 18

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

See this thread.

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Second-YouView-box-second-Freeview-picture-issue/m-p/16706...

Thanks Keith. Seems odd that it's only started happening this week as I've had the Youview box for a year or more but I do have an amplifier in the loft so may well be the cause.

The retune seems to have helped so I'll see how it goes but try the attenuator anyway. What would be the ideal signal strength I should be seeing on the Youview box?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Transmitter power levels can vary, so you may have been close to the overload point for the YouView box, hence the up and down signal like the other poster was describing.

Aim for a signal level of 70-80%,, the quality will depend a lot on how "clean" the signal is. Signal reflections and amplifier noise can degrade this.

Most DVRs require a fairly narrow range of signal levels as the DSP (Digital Signal Processing) circuits have to recover the mux data and timing more accurately than a TV would. This is to ensure a good quality digital stream for uninterrupted recording.

I would eithe try removing the amplifier, or addin an attenuator as described on the other thread.

0 Ratings
Michaelszabox
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

I had this problem. Engineer came out. Said my signal was perfect but for some unknown reason uview box is not dealing with signal correctly. Still the same 5 months later... good luck
0 Ratings
Highlighted
LesC
Expert
Message 6 of 18

Attenuator ordered; I'll let you know what happens...

0 Ratings
ney
Expert
Message 7 of 18

I been seeing this problem but I cant say its that bad for at times all seems fine.

Had problem over a year ago but it seemed to fix itself.

Darren

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

@LesC wrote:

Attenuator ordered; I'll let you know what happens...

A 6dB is usually enough, but they used to be available in 3dB, 6dB, 12dB and 18dB, in the early days of UHF TV, as those early TV sets used to suffer from intermodulation if the signal vevel was too high.

Maplin still stock some values, and also a variable one, which I would be a bit concerned about reliability.

High signal level is often overlooked as a cause of poor picture quality.

0 Ratings
LesC
Expert
Message 9 of 18

OK, so tested 6bd attenuator this morning, results as follows:

Before fitting attenuator:

TV Freeview tuner: Signal Strength 94%   Quality 100%

BT Youview+ box:  Signal Strength 52-57% (fluctuating)   Quality 100%

With attenuator fitted:

TV Freeview tuner: Signal Strength 91% (steady)    Quality 100%

BT Youview+ box:   Signal strength 40-44% (fluctuating)    Quality 100%  But dropping out to 0% for both intermittently.

I can only assume from the above that there is indeed a fault with the BT Youview+ box.

Guess I'll need to call BT to get a replacement. May be best to wait until Monday so as to get UK support rather than a friendly chap from India reading from a script??

0 Ratings
LesC
Expert
Message 10 of 18

Against my better judgement I decided to use the chat faciility & then got a call back from India Smiley Sad

As expected I was taken through the usual daft questions only to be told I needed an engineer to attend who will be coming on Wednesday. I was even told that if my aerial or wiring (?) was at fault I could be charged up to £129 & was I happy with that? No need to tell what my anwser was...

I tried to explain that the signal on my TV tuner was very good & that just the tuner on the Youview box was at fauilt but I don't think the poor lady in India even understood the problem so I gave up & opted for the engineer visit.

Might try ringing on Monday so I can hopefully speak to someone in the UK top save both me & the BT engineer a wasted visit. Dealing with BT can be so frustating at times Smiley Mad

0 Ratings