Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Martyboll
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Problems with Now TV buffering through BT TV

Go to solution

Hi all

First question to the community! I have recently switched from Virgin to BT and have the Now TV app on the BT 4K TV box. Yet (almost) every time I stream content the app freezes, displaying the rotating coloured NowTV icon; I then get sound but the picture remains frozen, or the app completely freezes. I think I've managed to watch two programmes all the way through...

I have a Now TV account on an Xbox so invariably switch to that, which plays fine without problem. But of course the picture isn't in 4K... so ideally I'd prefer to watch it through the BT TV box...

I'm on full fibre and the BT TV is hardwired, via a switch, whereas the Xbox is over wifi.

Any ideas?

Thanks M

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: Problems with Now TV buffering through BT TV

Go to solution

There appears to be an inherent issue within the NowTV app and it's functionality on the Youview boxes. BT are aware and it's being investigated to find the route cause and a potential fix 

Martyboll
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution
Thanks Nigel, it's good to know that it's likely not my set-up which is the issue. I will continue with the Xbox for now. Normally, how are customers informed of 'fixes', ie. do I just need to dip back in to the app, or is an announcement made...?
Cheers
M
0 Ratings
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

Just try the app every so often. The buffering seems to be affecting people in different ways. I used to get a bit of buffering on films but very occasionally. This could be cleared by stopping the stream and restarting. It hasn't done it for a while though

0 Ratings
Mallett94
Expert
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

@Martyboll When you say the picture isn't 4K, are you aware that there is no 4K content on NowTV? The base quality is 720p, 25 frames per second, stereo sound. If you have the boost pass the quality is bumped to 1080p, 50 frames per second on 6 of the sports channels, dolby digital plus 5.1 surround sound along with watching on 3 concurrent devices.

All the 4K Youview box does is upscale NowTV content to 4K. However, if you have a 4K TV and you feed it sub 4K content, the TV itself will always upscale everything to 4K.

If you do watch NowTV via your Xbox, just make sure that you have allow 50hz in the advanced video output settings of the Xbox.

I hope this helps.

0 Ratings
Martyboll
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

This is really interesting; thank you. I wasn't aware.

I need to look at the two streams (from BT and from the XBox) more carefully... I thought the XBox wasn't as sharp, but it might just be my misconception. I will certainly check the video setting on the XBox. Thanks again!

0 Ratings
Mallett94
Expert
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution
It will depend partly on which Xbox you have. Please find the compatibility list for NowTV Boost pass here => https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-highest-streaming-quality-for-my-device

🙂
0 Ratings
fieldpe
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

I take out a monthly contract for Sky Sport with NowTV. It used to be fine with just the occasional buffering for a few seconds although I do tend to lose sound on a more regular basis albeit, again, only for a few seconds. Yesterday watching the GP qualifying it buffered every few seconds for lengthy periods then it would give me the message 'Sorry, something went wrong. Please go back and try a to play again'. Today watching the actual race there wasn't a problem, but later in the evening trying to watch the football it was impossible to watch with the constant buffering and the  above message cutting the picture so I had to watch via smartphone/laptop which didn't seem to be a problem. This would indicate the problem is somewhere between router and Youview box.

0 Ratings
kipper1954
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Any news on this issue as your post was dated September and I am still suffering regular buffering with the NOW TV service 

0 Ratings
kipper1954
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

Also the problem is listed as solved, when it isn't. Do you know of any others still suffering this annoying problem? Thanks

0 Ratings