cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JayW
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Program stops recording before the program has finished

I record various programs (eg ALIBI HD). Very often the recording finishes before the program finishes. Often two or three minutes, but long enough to miss the ending

Does not happen on Freeview channels, only on the 'extra' channels via the broadband

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Program stops recording before the program has finished

Common complaint with Youview boxes across many if not most channels both ip and broadcast. Youview have been resistant to implementing padding since they launched. You could contact the channels direct in the hope of getting a different answer but it generally comes down to the box software.

I can record a programme on terrestrial tv on Youview and on Freesat plus a Humax Freeview pvr and the Youview box is the only one that cuts the programmes short.

As your problem is with ip channels there may be another explanation and maybe someone else could provide better assistance in this instance.

0 Ratings
JayW
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Thank You. I had wondered if there was a setting for 'padding', but obviously not
I had been in touch with UKTV, but the only answer is that 'as it is a recording issue, you should contact BTTV on 0800 1114567'. Tried the number and gave up after 10 minutes waiting
Yes, the BT box is a You View Box, but surely BT are responsible for their boxes. Mind you I am not sure now that I want it, bearing in mind the appalling mess of the new app that was released in the past few days
0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 4 of 13

@MadRob wrote:

Common complaint with Youview boxes across many if not most channels both ip and broadcast. Youview have been resistant to implementing padding since they launched. You could contact the channels direct in the hope of getting a different answer but it generally comes down to the box software.

I can record a programme on terrestrial tv on Youview and on Freesat plus a Humax Freeview pvr and the Youview box is the only one that cuts the programmes short.

As your problem is with ip channels there may be another explanation and maybe someone else could provide better assistance in this instance.

I have had padding on all my Humax boxes but never found I need to use it.  The big five terrestrial broadcasters use AR (accurate record) in conjuction with the EPG.  There is therefore little point in having padding.  The problems arise with some of the 'minor' broadcasters who either don't use AR at all or don't implement it correctly. 

I have found 'Pick' can be troublesome for missing off the last 30 seconds or so of some programmes. 

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 13

Thing is I can set any programme from the 'minor' channels on both Freesat and Youview and Youview always misses the endings whereas Freesat doesn't (the Freesat box has never had any padding set in all the time I've had it). My recordings on Youview always end early (eg. a programme running from 21.00 - 22.00 will nearly always record from 21.00 - 21.59) whereas Freesat will record past 22.00 if necessary. This has been a very common grumble from viewers of Youview for a number of years although Youview prefer to blame the broadcaster, and ignore the fact Freesat doesn't have the same problems with the same broadcasters.

0 Ratings
JayW
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

So I wonder who I should complain to? The broadcaster says not us : BTTV have never answered any phone call - twice I have tried without any response. All I can do is to shrug my shoulders and continue to miss the ending of many programmes. If there is anyone from BT TV reading this, can they say why or give me a phone number that WILL be answered. If it is a decision from Freeview (ie does this happen on other Freeview Boxes not just the BT TV box), then again can someone advise who to complain to.

I totally agree with comments that it never happens on my Freesat box, only on the BT TV (Freeview) box. Perhaps it is as simple as the AR signal is not transmitted on ip channels (via broadband) ?

0 Ratings
Jim-lad
Expert
Message 7 of 13

@MadRob wrote:

Thing is I can set any programme from the 'minor' channels on both Freesat and Youview and Youview always misses the endings whereas Freesat doesn't (the Freesat box has never had any padding set in all the time I've had it). My recordings on Youview always end early (eg. a programme running from 21.00 - 22.00 will nearly always record from 21.00 - 21.59) whereas Freesat will record past 22.00 if necessary. This has been a very common grumble from viewers of Youview for a number of years although Youview prefer to blame the broadcaster, and ignore the fact Freesat doesn't have the same problems with the same broadcasters.

That's really spooky you mention this.  We have been watching The Five on Pick Monday evenings at 22:00.  I hadn't realised the wife had set it to record on Youview so I set it to record on Freesat.  So far 6 episodes in on Freesat, it has cut off every week in the last 30 seconds.

When I have checked the Youview recordings - exactly the same, down to the same sentence in the dialogue.  There shouldn't really be any difference as the EPG data is coming from the broadcaster regardless of what device you are using. So to sum up, I am seeing exactly the same issues, be that Freesat, Freeview, or Youview, but only with regards to the more minor broadcasters. 

In fact, if you check on the MyHumax forum you will find plenty of articles regarding this issue including Freesat Freeview and Youview.  The only difference with the ones I have mentioned is that Youview don't provide the option to pad. 

0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 13

Indeed that is very strange. I've often wondered why some people on any given platform or box type can have such differing results when it comes to recordings (and other functions). It amazes me how often in the past I've complained on different fora about issues I've had with different boxes/suppliers only to be told by countless others they weren't having the same issue. I can't explain it but there must be more diverse factors at play, or it's simply down to the channels/programmes different folk view/record at certain times of the day. It's a mystery all right.

0 Ratings
JayW
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Oh Well. Doesn't look as though there is any solution. I started the post and thank all who have responded
0 Ratings
MadRob
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 13

@JayW

I stand willing to be corrected if I'm wrong but I don't believe the ip channels use AR. Unfortunately this is something we seem to be stuck with so long as we sub to BT/Youview.

0 Ratings