cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brymbo76
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 14

Question about Freeview multiplexes and IPTV channels receivable from YouView boxes

Go to solution

I was curious about if i was to upgrade my BT Vision+ box to a YouView box, what extra channels through the aerial would I receive?

My main transmitter is Winter Hill in Lancashire and currently receive PSB1, PSB2, COM4, COM5, COM6 and COMUX Liverpool through the BT Vision box.

The HD channels I receive on the box from PSB3 are through the Broadband line connected to the box and not through the air.

Also, the DVB-T2 SD and HD channels on COM7 and COM8 aren't receivable at all as the box is DVB-T and can't decode DVB-T2.

So I was curious if any of the YouView boxes are DVB-T2 compatible to enable me to receive PSB3, COM7 and COM8 through the aerial and also if any of the IPTV channels receivable (currently) between 226 and 257 can be viewed like my Smart TV through the YouView box?

If any of this is possible, please can someone tell me how much it would cost just to buy and upgrade my box and if there would be a higher subscription cost as I am currently on the BT Vision's 'Essentials' package.

Hope someone can explain this.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
4KMarty
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: Question about Freeview multiplexes and IPTV channels receivable from YouView boxes

Go to solution

@brymbo76 wrote:

I was curious about if i was to upgrade my BT Vision+ box to a YouView box, what extra channels through the aerial would I receive?

My main transmitter is Winter Hill in Lancashire and currently receive PSB1, PSB2, COM4, COM5, COM6 and COMUX Liverpool through the BT Vision box.

The HD channels I receive on the box from PSB3 are through the Broadband line connected to the box and not through the air.

Also, the DVB-T2 SD and HD channels on COM7 and COM8 aren't receivable at all as the box is DVB-T and can't decode DVB-T2.

So I was curious if any of the YouView boxes are DVB-T2 compatible to enable me to receive PSB3, COM7 and COM8 through the aerial and also if any of the IPTV channels receivable (currently) between 226 and 257 can be viewed like my Smart TV through the YouView box?

If any of this is possible, please can someone tell me how much it would cost just to buy and upgrade my box and if there would be a higher subscription cost as I am currently on the BT Vision's 'Essentials' package.

Hope someone can explain this.

Thanks.

All YouView boxes are DVB-T2 capable, but they don't work with most of the IPTV channels between 226 and 257. 

You may find your Vision+ sub won't work on the YouView box without going through a formal upgrade process, in any case it'll almost certainly be cheaper to get the box from BT than buy one from a retailer.

0 Ratings
brymbo76
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 14

Re: Question about Freeview multiplexes and IPTV channels receivable from YouView boxes

Go to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

My intention would've been to have got in touch with BT to upgrade my box as supposed to buying from a retailer.

But looking at the YouView packages on the BT website, they don't have the same ones as BT Vision.

So I was wondering how much extra would I have to pay for my box through BT and my new TV package through BT?

If you can find out and tell me, I would much appreciate it so I can decide if it's worth the bother or not.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
4KMarty
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

@brymbo76 wrote:

If you can find out and tell me,

This is a customer to customer forum, I and others here are not BT staff. If you want to know the cost, call BT. 

0 Ratings
brymbo76
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

I know that.

I just thought that there was somewhere on the BT site to find out without having to phone for the costs.

Like I said, if there is anywhere where I can find the costs, it would be nice to know as the BT site isn't exactly easy to navigate around.

Please don't be offended.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
rarmitage124
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution
I can check for you. How much are you paying at the moment?

And what would you like in the package?

Also can you post your results from:

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

Remember to take out personal information like telephone numbers.

If my post has been useful, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If I have answered your question correctly please let me know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution' Thanks
0 Ratings
brymbo76
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

Hi,

All i'm interested in doing quite simply is to have a basic TV package like BT Vision's 'Essentials' package but with YouView that still allows me to record TV channels.

I don't want or need to change my Phone (Weekend Calls) or Broadband (Infinty 1 25GB).

I simply want to find out the price of a YouView box through BT and how much a month I would pay a month for a YouView TV package as compared against my current BT Vision TV package.

Hope you are able to work this out and tell me from the information I have given.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
rarmitage124
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution

To record you will need to have either Entertainment plus or Entertainment max.

Entertainment plus is £10 a month

Entertainment max is £16 a month.

Have a look here:

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/manage-tv

Post back if you want to know anything else.

Edit: To add you need to pay a one off £49 activation fee to activate the service 

If my post has been useful, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If I have answered your question correctly please let me know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution' Thanks
0 Ratings
brymbo76
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

Thanks,

I did come across that 'Manage your BT TV' link but didn't know if that was for new customers or what.

I don't see why though there is no 'Essentials' package for YouView?

I don't need all those Premium channels as I'll never get time to record and watch them!

0 Ratings
rarmitage124
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution
Yeah I don't know either.

0 Ratings