cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 8

RF Faults on Box?

Has anyone else experienced Radio Frequency faults on their box where break up affects some channels more than others?

Have 92% signal and 100% Quality on all Freeview channels via our G4 box. It's rock solid reception. In the last week however there has been increasing break-up / black screen, with some multiplexes (e.g. the main BBC/ITV HD Mux) affected more than others. When that happens the quality meter instantaneously drops. The TV tuner, which is fed through the RF Loop Through from the BT TV Box, is also affected.

HOWEVER, the upstairs TV, which is fed via a passive splitter from the same aerial, is completely break-up free.

There is a possibility that something has gone wrong with the cable to the wall socket, or the wall socket itself for the lounge setup. I will try and determine that at the weekend by plugging the aerial straight into the TV rather than via the BT TV box.

However has anyone had problems with the box itself chucking out random RF interference?

Note that we had a problem last weekend where the box suddenly refused to play back any recorded programmes and had to have an engineering reset to get it working again. Things have been getting worse since then. Could that be indicative of electronics failing (have had it several years now)?

Have looked to see if I could upgrade to a new 4K box but 4K packages seem to be unavailable at the moment....

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: RF Faults on Box?

Possibly signal overload, perhaps due to an increase in transmitter power?

Som information on this page Picture breakup or missing FreeView channels

There are also links to other similar threads on that web page.

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

No increase in power has happened from Crystal Palace!

Signal levels have always been perfect. And as I say the signal on the TV fed from the same aerial that does not go through the BT box is perfect.

It is instantaneous drops. I think it’s actually more indicative of a failing solder joint in the RF section of the box.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

@Colin_London wrote:
No increase in power has happened from Crystal Palace!

Signal levels have always been perfect. And as I say the signal on the TV fed from the same aerial that does not go through the BT box is perfect.

It is instantaneous drops. I think it’s actually more indicative of a failing solder joint in the RF section of the box.

My point was that the BT YouView front end circuitry, accepts a much narrower signal range to allow accurate decoding of the incoming RF signal, to ensure there are no glitches in the recorded stream which could result in the early termination of a recording.

If the signal level is close to the upper limit, then it does not take very much interference, to stop the decoder from working. As this is only affecting some multiplexes, it possible that the signal level is close to the upper limit on those muxes.

TV sets are designed to work over a much larger signal range, as most don`t have to record, and any bit errors are hidden within the displayed picture, and not noticable unless the error rate is very bad, when the current frame will freeze, or the picture will break up.

This is one of the threads that I referenced

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/Freeview-HD-Channels-Pixelation/m-p/1697600#M32995

another

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/Picture-breaking-up/m-p/1696786#M32946

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

No - never had any overload issues, ever before. And i’ve Had this box several years.

Tried wiggling the aerial connector on the back of the box this morning and that causes breakup. I believe my solder joint diagnosis is much more reasonable. Now to try and persuade customer services 😰
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

@Colin_London wrote:
No - never had any overload issues, ever before. And i’ve Had this box several years.

Tried wiggling the aerial connector on the back of the box this morning and that causes breakup. I believe my solder joint diagnosis is much more reasonable. Now to try and persuade customer services 😰

Why would that only affect some muxes, as you said on your original post? Moving the aerial connector on most boxes and TVs, would cause breakup due to an increase in errors.

Anyway, lets wait to see the outcome. My suggestion about dropping the signal input by a few dBs, would be easy to try, but its up to you.

0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
BT TV Expert
Message 7 of 8

Hi @Colin_London,

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I'm happy to have a look into the problem for you if you wish to avoid the phone call to customer services or they were unable to help.

If you send me your landline number via a private message, I can have a look for you. Thank you. 

BT TV ExpertGemma_P
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the thumbs up next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
I am a BT Employee and an expert on TV queries. I am here volunteering my own time to give advice, and help where I can with BTTV queries. Go here for more info.
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

Hi Gemma - I have PMd you. After another freeze today a hard reboot seems to have removed the break up for the moment. Am going to monitor it for a bit and see if this general instability returns.
0 Ratings