Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
w33nyy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

RF loop through failing when high eco kicks in

Go to solution

I took delivery of my shiny tiny G4 2100 on Friday - it's immense!
However, it does seem to have a bug in its handling of RF loop through...

Last night I dropped the box into standby and switched to my TV's on-board tuner.

My G4 was configured for high eco mode, with RF loop through turned on.

As per design my box initially went into a low eco sleep, with its left hand LED on the box glowing purple to illustrate.

I continued watching via my TV throughout that initial period ...until those first 7-10 minutes passed and the box dropped into high eco (left hand LED now glowing red). At this point the RF feed was dropped, so my TV no longer received a signal.

I tried power-cycling the box to see whether it was a one-off glitch, but no - same thing second time round.

Having switched off at the mains overnight, I've checked again this morning a couple of times ...I've also gone as far as a box reset - same behaviour is exhibited though.

Every time, once those initial minutes have passed before the unit goes into its deep sleep, the RF signal is dropped.

Manufacturer software: 17.3.0
Component software: 2.4.0

Platform configuration: 910

ISP configuration: 90

Oddness.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: RF loop through failing when high eco kicks in

Go to solution

Not really a bug as it is how BT have stated the G4 works.

You need to have the G4 in Eco Low mode - see the "watching TV with the Youview box in standby"  P49 of the printed guide.

0 Ratings
davidb00
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

As a work round you could use a 2 way RF splitter, it is better if you use the type with "type F" connectors as these are more substantial than the coax plug type.

The only problem that could occur is, if the freeview signal is to weak for either the TV or the Youview box.

I use this method and find it works very well.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

The other consideration (other than cost/start uptime) is that if you want to use the Mobile Devices app to set your recordings you also need to use the Low Eco mode in standby.

0 Ratings
w33nyy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

*grabs guide & flips to p49*

By jove, so it does - colour me surprised!

Note to self: Just because you'd been using a retail box for the best part of a year, don't blindly expect your ISP box to behave the same way ...even if youview boxes *are* supposed to be inherently universally consistent.

It's not a particular issue for me, I was just thrown by the difference in behaviour.

No doubt BT have their reasons for having changed this ...power use perhaps? A desire to have eco high represent a baseline of absolute minimum power use, unclouded by the additional draw of supporting pass through? 

...Thanks for the heads-up, confusion cleared! Smiley Happy

0 Ratings