cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Radio Channels in EPG in IP mode

In my opinion the Radio channels  (BBC Sounds)  don’t fit comfortably in the EPG with the BT TV Pro box in IP mode.

The “channels” are not recordable ,  the backwards EPG does not provide links to the content in on demand , the  universal search does not appear to find on demand in BBC sounds . 

So all you can do is see a list on what programmes are on and set reminders.

If selecting ok to  a radio channel  in the EPG you then have to select Red to listen which then takes you to Select which user is listening.Hardly a quick launch . The EPG should enable quick direct access to a selected channel , not require multiple further remote actions.

As you are then embedded in the BBC sounds app subsequently returning to TV  channel watching takes longer  even if using the Guide or Home Screen as shorter routes.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Radio Channels in EPG in IP mode

Another well thought out and fully tested release then.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Yeah I've made a similar point in the 'New Features' thread, it's really a massive downgrade,

• Navigation is clunky and is effectively just a series of shortcuts to the appropriate page in the BBC Sounds app
  • Loss of commercial stations I assume this is contractual as radio operators (Global, Bauer etc.) want people to use their own app.
  • Not as many local channels listed in EPG (this also applies to local TV channels)
  • Being IP it now means BBC Local Radio Premier League/EFL commentaries are unavailable.

Frankly the radio stations are pretty pointless for me now, you might as well just launch the BBC Sounds app although this brings me to another pet peeve being that apps are unable to be deleted or even reordered (as far as I can tell).  It's actually easier to use the BBC Sounds app on my TV as I don't need to scroll through a load of apps I don't use. 

I'm now using a combination of a spare BT box and my TV itself for radio (and to add additional recording capacity).

Message 4 of 5

In order to get the rights from content providers to be allowed to provide channels in IP mode, there had to be some compromises. This one isn't a technical issue - it's a contractual one.
I'm just pleased they didn't force it on the channels too - imagine how bad an experience it would have been if we'd been forced to launch iPlayer instead of offering the channels directly.
Message 5 of 5

Thanks Darren. I assumed it is would be a contractual reason no doubt the BBC want to harvest as much user data as possible as you say it's a good job that hasn't been applied (yet) to TV channels.

0 Ratings