Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanT1981
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Re: Box Won't Record Since Software Update

Hi, 

Sorry to bump this post when it's so old but our box has experienced the identical problem to below. 

The remote shows the button is being pressed but nothing will record & scheduled recordings do not happen. 

Been a long term TV customer for 5+ years until last month when we cancelled out TV subscription but kept our internet / landline. 

Is this just a coincidence or has an update been made which has removed the functionality? 

Can anyone help?

Thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

@DanT1981 

Your problem could be terminal with the disk failing or is corrupt but there are options to try before reaching that conclusion.

Firstly I'm assuming that the disk is not anywhere near full.

There are 2 Maintenance mode resets that could well help and still retain your recordings. Look here for details how to do it. Try options 2 and then option 4 to see if these help.

If they don't then it's possible that the index structure on the disk is corrupt and only an option 3 and/or 5 will correct that but all recordings will be lost. Just the same as would happen if you get a replacement box.

Try the 2/4 options first.

0 Ratings
DanT1981
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Hi Tim, 

Thanks for the response - i've already tried the factory reset but keeping recordings, and no change. I guess next resort is the full reset although reading some of the posts on here with identical issues it seems unlikely to work. 

From a corruption / drive failure point of view, would all other functionality continue to work?

I can still watch recorded programs, literally the only thing that doesn't work is pressing the record button which seems odd if the drive is failing. 

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 10

@DanT1981 

What about pausing or rewinding live TV , does that work?

0 Ratings
DanT1981
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Yes can pause & rewind without issue. 

But record just doesn't do anything. The remote is working though as the little blue light flashes. Just nothing happens, also tried the record button on the box with no joy either. 

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 10

@DanT1981 

From what you've said it would suggest that the index structure for the HDD has been corrupted and the only solution if that is the case is a full reset - Maintenance Mode option 5 - which effectively wipes the HDD and starts with a clean index structure.

I think that the live TV pause/rewind buffer is separate from the recordings section of the HDD so not affected by an index corruption.

0 Ratings
pddco
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

Did I read that you’ve cancelled your BT TV subscription?
Not long ago when the subscription was cancelled the box could still be used as a Freeview recorder. This meant that the box could still be used  but not returned to BT.

I’ve a feeling that this has now changed. When the service is terminated you are now obliged to return the box.

The lack of recording could be a means of forcing the issue?

May be wrong. But just a thought.

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

Hi @DanT1981 

the original old thread from a few years ago is in historic section of the forum so I have moved your post and replies to a current  section.

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 10

Hi @pddco 

the changes to terms  and conditions that occurred during December   2019 affect the ownership of the boxes not the software delivered to the boxes.

@DanT1981  The advice given. By @TimCurtis  of trying the various maintenance mode resets is sound and hopefully could restore your box. I would be inclined to also restart your  Hub/ router as well not with any great degree of confidence of it making any difference. 

0 Ratings
DanT1981
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Hi all. 

Just to bring closure, the full reset including losing of recordings worked. 

The partial reset didn't. 

Thanks for all the help.