cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 49

Re: Do i have to return BT Youview box?

Go to solution

Good evening

I’ve done a fair bit of Googling and forum searching and keep coming back to this December 2019 date. 

My contract initially started with BT around 2017/2018 I think (certainly before 2019) so am I right in assuming I shouldn’t be charged if I didn’t return the YouView box? Would I have to notify anybody about this? I’ve had an email saying about returning my box and it refers to protecting the environment. 

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, I haven’t been able to find it. 

Many thanks 

0 Ratings
48 REPLIES 48
Message 2 of 49

Go to solution

It's not when you became a BT customer that's important, it's when you were issued with the equipment. If you received any new/replacement kit after the 13 Dec 2019 then it was issued on loan and you will be charged if you don't return it

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 49

Go to solution

ok thank you. 
I think I’m probably confusing myself a bit. 
I received my original box at the start of my contract back in 2017/18. I have just been sent a new box last week. 
With the old one being provided so long ago does that mean i wouldn’t have to return it? Or does the fact I’ve been sent this new one now after the December 2019 date mean I have to send the old one back? 

Thanks again 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 49

Go to solution

Any kit you received before 13 Dec 2019 is yours to keep but that won't stop BT from offering you a recycling service as they are legally obliged to do so, it's your choice whether you take advantage of it or not. As previously advised, any kit you received after that date is on loan to you and you will be charged for it if you choose not to return it

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 49

Go to solution

@Kiko 

Just to be absolutely clear your original box is yours to keep.

The new box is now on loan and should be returned if you cancel your BT TV contract and no longer pay a BT TV subscription.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 49

Go to solution

Thank you both very much. I’ll ring them just to make sure I don’t get charged. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 49

Go to solution

@Kiko 

Personally I wouldn't phone as Customer Services are pretty clueless regarding these particular T&Cs and will most likely insist you must return it.

So leave it for now and if you get a message to say you're being charged then come back here & one of the BT Mods (they're very good btw) will surely resolve it for you.

Calling CS will only complicate things I'm sure.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 49

Go to solution
@Kiko In the email I received about returning my faulty (6 year old) box - and in the fault tracking section of my online account - it clearly stated "total failure to return charge: £0.00".
Does yours not state the same anywhere?
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 49

Go to solution

Hi, I am replying to this message as my situation is the same.  I have just cancelled my BT package and I have now received an  email to say they are sending me packaging to return box.  I have had the YouView box (from BT when I took out the contract ) and it was definitely before Dec 2019.  
when I cancelled I did question about returning thinking I could keep the box but I was told no it belongs to BT and I have to return it.  I suppose what I am asking is can I contact you if I don’t return and they eventually say I am being charged? 
many thanks in anticipation of your reply.

MagsRoddy54

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 49

Go to solution

If you were supplied with the box before Dec 2019 and you haven't received a replacement since that date then it's yours to keep. You'll be able to see if there is any chance of being charged for any equipment up to 60 days before they expect it back when you log on to MyBT