Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Overlook
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Re: Youview errors on Internet channels

Hi

I'm getting virtually the same problems as the OP.
We've noticed for some weeks now that the BT subscription channels (standard def) often break up or pixelate. Sometimes they'll stall for many seconds before resuming. We have no issue with Netflix or the other players. Rebooted many times and still the same. We're using the HH5 and connect via powerline adaptors.

The channels can be OK for minutes then intermittently break up/pause/pixelate, (whether watching live or recorded) our two boxes are connected to powerline adapters (one upstairs, one downstairs) both behave similar

What I don't get if it was a powerline adaptor issue, is that Netflix and other players work perfectly

Any ideas or advice  please. 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Welcome to this user forum.

I have moved your post to this new thread, so you can get personal help from the community.

The extra channels are delivered using multicast, which is not error corrected end to end, so that any errors on your line, or on the powerline adapter link, will cause loss of data, resulting in picture breakup.

This is a bit like a TV transmission, which is transmitted to all users.

Netflix and other streaming services use unicast, which is a single connection from their server to your computer or YouView box, and is error corrected.

BT recommend the BT Mini connectors for connecting your YouView box to the home hub.

Try a direct connection from the home hub to the YouView box, to prove whether its the powerline adaptors causing the problem.

Overlook
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Thanks @ Keith_Beddoe
Just spent a frustrating hour on a BT webchat.
A BT Engineer corrected a fault at an external local cabinet about a month ago. Now the "advisors" say they can send an Engineer again (even though he couldn't detect a fault) which may cost me £85. I'm using powerline adaptors supplied by BT from years ago. I'm reading on these forum pages that the current BT offering are "mini" adaptors and have some success. I can try a cabled connection to rule in/out, but I will need a powerline setup for our situation
0 Ratings
Karl99r
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

I'm by no means an expert but originally also had similar issues with the powerline adaptors. Netflix and Amazon were fine but problems with YouView. We had them installed in our previous home for many years and they never missed a beat. We moved into a much newer, smaller house, with only a single ring main and had the same problems as you and the more adaptors we added, the worse it became. What I finally noticed was that while the units showed the green connection status LED  most of the time, they would randomly occasionally change to amber just for a second or two and that's when the problems surfaced. In the end I admitted defeat ran an ethernet cable in and the problems resolved until I was daft enough to change my HH5 for a HH6!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

I assume that Freeview channels are fine, so it has to be errors creeping in somewhere.

Before anything else can be done, you need to prove that the powerline adapters are not causing the issue first. If they are, then you can ask for a set of the new mini connectors, as described here.

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/How-to-connect-YouView-Box-when-hub-in-another-room/m-p/...

If the proble is still there, and there is no noise on your phone line, then I can ask one of the moderators to monitor the connection to look for errors.

0 Ratings
Overlook
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

The BT engineer corrected a noise issue from an external cabinet about a month ago. This was identified by them checking the line remotely. They told me today that they checked the line and all appears well. I will try a direct connection tonight. The problem with this issue is it is intermittent, which means that could be a couple of times an hour to 60 times an hour.
0 Ratings