cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SandraB1
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Recording breaking up

This is going to sound weird. On Friday our TV picture kept dropping out and/or breaking up. Eventually after resetting the box it settled and all was OK, and, for live TV it still is. However, recordings of just one programme are unwatchable, totally broken up, stalling. The weird thing is we caught the end of one of these shows live and it was perfect, yet the recording was unwatchable. And it's only one programme - so far anyway. BT are trying to say it's our aerial but we're watching live TV with no problem at all, and other shows are recording fine too. Anyone got any ideas why, what can be done, etc? Thanks. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
SandraB1
Beginner
Message 2 of 7

Re: Recording breaking up

And just as strange, according to the BT TV app various recordings on dates from 28 February to 5 March and ongoing have "failed to record"! Any ideas what is going on as these dates are in the future so they obviously haven't recorded yet? 

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 7

That "failed to record" issue does happen for future recordings , I've had it a few times in the past but it's necessarily anything to worry about.

The picture break up problem can be caused by signal strength problems on the Youview box. The tuners are very sensitive compared to a normal TV.

Whilst the TV can be quite happy with either a weaken or overly strong signal the Youview box will see recording problems.

Check the signal quality & strength on the box , a quality figure of 100% is what you want and a strength figure of around 95% is good. If either of these is considerably lower than what I've quoted the your aerial might need looking at and if the strength is 100% then you might need to lower it by installing an attenuator in the aerial feed.

Post back your figures & we'll see what needs to be done.

0 Ratings
SandraB1
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Thanks, I'll check figures later. Just wondering, though, should I check them while this particular programme is on, as test recordings half an hour and a couple of hours later last night were perfect? Would it be coincidence that the signal strength drops at a certain time, or is that something that external factors might be affecting? Or something perfectly normal? Sorry if I'm seeming dense, I really don't have a clue (I'll have to Google how to check figures anyway 😂😂)
0 Ratings
SandraB1
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Hi, just checked, both are 100%. However, the programme we've had problems with isn't on until 5pm ish so don't know if that will be the same.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

@SandraB1 wrote:
Hi, just checked, both are 100%. However, the programme we've had problems with isn't on until 5pm ish so don't know if that will be the same.

As @TimCurtis  has said, that could mean that the YouView box signal level is too high. As the content of the FreeView muxes vary, this is likely to cause decoding errors which will cause breakup.

I would suggest that you try reducing the signal level going ito the YouView box, so its between 90-95% on all channels.

This can be done by using a variable attenuator like this.

variable_attenuator.jpgVariable Attenuator

If you search sites like Amazon, for LOOPS Aerial Coaxial Cable Variable Attenuator,  or Philex Variable TV Signal Attenuator

Similar post https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/Picture-breaking-up/m-p/1696786#M32946

0 Ratings
SandraB1
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Thank you. We've ordered an attenuator and will see how we go with that.
0 Ratings