cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marko2002
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Recording from TV takes me to iplayer, etc

Hi guys, some programs record ok as per normal and some won't record but instead simply link to the apps, like iplayer, itv player, etc, despite having hit the record button, when browsing through to delete some programs it's a pain having to go through the options to delete those that haven't actually recorded but have been linked to iplayer, etc.

It's my father's setup so for him recording is something he's just about got his head around but the hassle if having to deal with the iplayer nonsense is making him wish he hadn't bothered upgrading.

Just wondering if this is by default on some programs or whether it's a glitch ??

Cheers in advance

Marko

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Recording from TV takes me to iplayer, etc

Are you sure he is pressing the red Record button and not the Red button?
0 Ratings
marko2002
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Hi and thanks for the reply, there could be a chance he could be doing that, although even when I was over today I went through it again and he did seem adamant it was the "R" button he was using and I'm sure when he got the box a few weeks ago I went through to show him how to use it, "Line of Duty" was one such program that I set up for him to record the series and it appears even this hasn't actually recorded on the box itself, but instead has to be deleted via "delete" then "remove from MyTV" instead of simply "delete" and it's gone!.   It definitely appears to be taking him to the app player instead of recording it on the box itself.

For me it's not a massive issue, but trying to explain to my father who is a little tech shy it's a major issue, but I even went on to the apps themselves to try and hit record there and it wouldn't let me, and he even remembered the "record series" or "record episode" prompt so it's my guess he must be hitting the "R" button, would the red button do what I've described by any chance?

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

Hi @marko2002 

i have a theory on what might be occurring.

The  BT (youview) EPG ( guide)  holds data for the past 7 days listings plus the next  7 days.

If you select a programme in the guide scheduled in the future ( or the current live programme being shown on the channel ) and you press the Record button on your remote it will schedule the recording.

So you also have the past schedule  in the guide of programmes already broadcast for the past week which may or may not be available on demand. If a past programme is selected in the guide that can be played on demand IF you press the Record button on your remote that will add that that programme to MY TV watchlist. 

I

0 Ratings
marko2002
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

I think I understand what your saying, but not 100% lol, basically as far as I understand it, he'll go to the guide for, say, the coming days, and hit the "R" button for whichever program he wanted to record.   It could be anything obviously, but he wouldn't likely go outwith the "norm" so to speak, he doesn't have a clue how to do that anyway, it's all I could do to get him to understand the basics of browse, hit the R button and choose the series or episode, that's literally it.   He wouldn't go back into aired programs at all, only on future programs and not any further forward than a few days at a time.   

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

As the BT TV (Youview) guide only displays a 2 hour window on screen it is likely that a lot of navigating using the remote would be needed to  view the programming , the move forward/back 2 hours and move forward/back a day remote buttons are close together on the remote so it is easy enough to position yourself.

I gave the scenario of when using the Record button within the guide will add to the Watchlist rather than schedule a recording.

There are other scenarios.
For example you may be presented as part of the Youview/BT TV Home Screen a selection of programmes that you might consider viewing. these might be current live broadcasts or  Tv or Film content that is available on demand.

So for example there may be some TV Shows suggested and given that Line of  Duty is a popular programme it is likely to be one shown . The promoted programme is likely to the one previously broadcast that is available on demand. If that is selected and Record button pressed again it add to watchlist rather than set up a recording.

0 Ratings
marko2002
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Ah, right, I get where you're coming from now, and I had thought about the "suggested" viewing myself but didn't see any options to remove such suggestions, wondering if there is one at all?.   I'll certainly bear in mind that if he's selecting something within the 2 hour window it may add it to the watchlist rather than record it (why I don't know, asking it to record and then adding to a watchlist is pretty pointless, for my take on it anyway).

Thanks for the help, certainly something for me to check next time I'm over 🙂

0 Ratings