cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ab79
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 9

Recording surround sound.

When watching Planet earth 2 on record tonight I noticed in the description that it said was broadcasting in surround sound. When playing back however my surround amp doesn't display Dolby digital ( proper surround). Does the box record the surround sound channels or is it only on live broadcasts? I've seen a few films live where the amp has played SS so I know it works and the settings all say surround. Thanks.
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
skappy70
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Recording surround sound.

I also noticed it said SS in the description, I watched it live and my Amp showed it as Dolby 2.0 not 5.1
0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

The BBC only broadcasts 5.1 on certain programmes due to the extra capacity it uses. I'm not sure they turned it on for Sunday's broadcast. May have been a mistake by them.
0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 4 of 9

Sometimes they put 5.1 sound on freesat only I think, I had some issues where I thought the BT box was not sending DD5.1. On closer inspection I found that it was only being broadcast on the sattelite channel.

2.0 is still surround sound it's pretty good too these days, I remember the original analogue decoder system on my VHS 🙂

0 Ratings
ab79
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

I noticed the same thing with the second episode of planet earth on Sunday again. No surround from my av amp but strangely, when pressing the info button on my tv it showed the Dolby surround icon suggesting the HDMI lead at least was sending SS. However, switching to sound from the optical lead from the tv to the amp again produced no surround sound.

I then tested Percy Jackson and the lightning thief which was recorded a while ago on c4 HD and this produced Dolby digital 5.1 from both routes to my amp and again the icon on my tvs info button appeared. I don't understand?????
0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 6 of 9

pretty much any thing that appears to be stereo ( films, docs , drama etc) will have dolby surround encoded these days, that's the point of pro logic/ neo7.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
ab79
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 9

Aren't pro logic / neo just using the stereo 2 channel signal and sending certain frequencies to the surround channels so to create a faux surround feel? Maybe I miss-understand what's going on. All I know is Dolby digital proper didn't appear on my amp as it does with other content.
0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 8 of 9

it's a throw back to Stereo VCR's, NICAM tv's  etc when they some how incorporated the 5.1DD from films into the stereo tracks to enable a monophonic surround channel.

It often sounds better on my set up than dd5.1 since I have no easy way to put my rear speakers behind me and true 5.1 can be a bit distracting/ OTT 😞

The main benefit really is for the Subwoofer channel IMHO (the .1 bit) but neo 7 does a good job here and how many people have subwoofers I wonder ?

0 Ratings
skappy70
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 9

C4 HD does transmit a lot of programmes in 5.1

0 Ratings