cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kwpc1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Recordings locking up, box freezes, slow response to remote

Had our YouView box just coming up to 18 months and to be honest it has been a bit of a dogs dinner right from the start. Menus are always sluggish to respond. Often records SD and HD versions of the same program even though we have only chosen to record the HD version. Loses beginning and ends of programs. Often doesn't record the whole program, cutting off half way through.

All those issues we could live with one way or another but now it's getting ridiculous. Can't record anything without the recording locking up at various places on playback. It just stops, screen goes blank and if you leave it for a couple of minutes it resumes then stops again, sometimes requiring a reboot. Often it skips chunks of the recording so you miss the bit you really wanted to see.

Have done a complete reset, wiping recordings and going back to factory defaults but makes no difference. Also Freview HD channels often break up even when just watching them, not recording. We also have a Freview HD tv and that's fine, no break ups. We have a high gain tv aerial and I used to be a satellite & tv installer so it's all done properly, no problems with the aerial or the cable.

We would have been out of contract now but we were paying £69 per month for YouView and Broadband so I asked if they could reduce the price. They did this by putting us on the basic package which almost halved the bill but, we had to agree to another 18 month contract. Yet another BT scam!

Obviously we are stuck with this junk for the next 18 months so I need a replacement. Anyone know the quickest and most hassle free way of going about this? and is the replacement likely to be any better? Or should I just cut our losses and go back to SKY Plus HD? we still have the box and that never let us down.

thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Recordings locking up, box freezes, slow response to remote

Have you reported the box problems to BT. If you have  and have followed their support's advice and since you still clearly are experiencing problems then have you advised BT accordingly ?

0 Ratings
kwpc1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Yes have contacted BT and they are sending an engineer on Monday.

Things is though, I have lost all confidence in YouView. The fact that is often misses the beginning and/or ends of programs is something that a new box won't remedy. It needs more flexibility in the recording process. For example I can set my Sky Plus HD box to record/finish a few minutes either side of the scheduled program. There is no way to do that with the YouView box.

The same with the duplicate recording problem where it records both the SD and HD versions of the same program. I see people with new boxes have that same issue.

Well we'll just have to wait and see what happens on Monday.

0 Ratings
MartinSW
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

@kwpc1 wrote:

Often records SD and HD versions of the same program even though we have only chosen to record the HD version. Loses beginning and ends of programs. Often doesn't record the whole program, cutting off half way through. 

Those are issues caused by broadcasters, not BT or YouView. If they don't properly manage the series links info they send to the EPG - this is sent by each broadcaster, it's not managed by BT - then the box will record both instances of the same episode.

Ditto, if they fail to send the correct start/stop signals the box will miss the start and end of episodes. That's true of YouView, Sky, Freeview or Freesat - any platform where the broadcaster supply their own EPG data.

It's annoying and you should complain to the broadcaster responsible. 

BTW, on the one platform where they don't - Virgin - customers complain of far more issues including missed recordings when programmes move in the schedules because the EPG can only be updated overnight and so can't react to late running sport events or other schedule disruptions. 

All those issues we could live with one way or another but now it's getting ridiculous. Can't record anything without the recording locking up at various places on playback. It just stops, screen goes blank and if you leave it for a couple of minutes it resumes then stops again, sometimes requiring a reboot. Often it skips chunks of the recording so you miss the bit you really wanted to see.

That's not normal behaviour - the box might be faulty or the hard drive corrupted. Only an engineer would be able to determine that.  It might also be overheating - where is it? 

We would have been out of contract now but we were paying £69 per month for YouView and Broadband so I asked if they could reduce the price. They did this by putting us on the basic package which almost halved the bill but, we had to agree to another 18 month contract. Yet another BT scam!

Where's the scam?

You asked BT to lower your price and, despite knowing you've had problems with the TV service, voluntarily agreed to extend your contract knowing you'd have to continue paying for TV. 

Had you let the original contract run its course you could've either moved to a different TV provider or upgraded to the new box which is certainly a lot faster than the old one when navigating the menus and EPG.

0 Ratings
kwpc1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Yeah I have heard all this before about it being the fault of the program makers, not sending the correct schedules etc however this NEVER happened with our SKY Plus HD box which we had for two years. Also the YouView box doesn't let you set recording to begin a few minutes in advance or at the end which would have helped but the Sky Box does.

It sits in a well ventalated area under the TV, nothing on top or around it.

I'll admit "Scam" is probably too strong a word as that would impy being conned in some way. However there is no need for contracts these days especially if you have already been on an 18 month contract previously. We took it because we could not afford to pay the next three months bills so it was either reduce the price and get stuck with the contract or default with all the asociated **bleep** that goes with that course of action. Obviously the former is better than the latter. With Sky however they just stick you on a rolling monthly contract once the initial period has expiredso you can quite with 30 days notice, which is a much fairer way of doing things.

The ONLY reason we switched to BT for broadband and TV was for the free wi-fi as we are often out and about with the mobiles and iPad etc and BT were offering the box free. However that also has proved to be next to useless. Most places now provide their own free wi-fi and the only times I have really needed to rely on the BT connection it didn't work! It's all just smoke and mirrors. Glossy advertising covering a pretty medocre product.

You can dress it up how you like but YouView as a product is pretty rubbish. If it were so great there would not be endless complaints in this forum and many others around the net. If our TV had a recording facility we would have simply unplugged the YouView box and thrown it in the bin where it most certainly belongs.

0 Ratings
MartinSW
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

@kwpc1 wrote:

Yeah I have heard all this before about it being the fault of the program makers, not sending the correct schedules etc however this NEVER happened with our SKY Plus HD box which we had for two years.

You'll have heard it before because it's an inescapable fact. Sky boxes can also have recording failures, it's great that you never encountered any but that doesn't make the technology any better or inherently more reliable. 

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-hd-supertelly/47523-sky-hd-box-fails-record-scheduled-recordings....

Also the YouView box doesn't let you set recording to begin a few minutes in advance or at the end which would have helped but the Sky Box does.

Given you complained of recordings cutting off half way through the addition of a few minutes would seem unlikely to be much help. 

However there is no need for contracts these days especially if you have already been on an 18 month contract previously. We took it because we could not afford to pay the next three months bills so it was either reduce the price and get stuck with the contract or default with all the asociated **bleep** that goes with that course of action. Obviously the former is better than the latter. With Sky however they just stick you on a rolling monthly contract once the initial period has expiredso you can quite with 30 days notice, which is a much fairer way of doing things.

Your BT contract would also have become a rolling 30 day contract once it expired but you chose to renew it in return for changing your services. Again, you had the decision not to. 

The ONLY reason we switched to BT for broadband and TV was for the free wi-fi as we are often out and about with the mobiles and iPad etc and BT were offering the box free. However that also has proved to be next to useless. Most places now provide their own free wi-fi and the only times I have really needed to rely on the BT connection it didn't work! It's all just smoke and mirrors. Glossy advertising covering a pretty medocre product.

Sounds like you'd have been off just moving your mobiles to a network which provide free WiFi rather than buying services you didn't want and then renewing them despite being unhappy with them. 

You can dress it up how you like but YouView as a product is pretty rubbish. If it were so great there would not be endless complaints in this forum and many others around the net. If our TV had a recording facility we would have simply unplugged the YouView box and thrown it in the bin where it most certainly belongs.

Well I've had YouView since BT launched it and I've never had any of the issues you complain about. This is a support forum, more people are always going to come along with a complaint or problem then are to praise a product. 

There are plenty of cheap Freeview recorders you can buy, why prolong your unhappiness any further? 

0 Ratings
kwpc1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Well I could answer all that but since it's pretty obvious your job is to deflect criticism and protect the reputation of BT and YouView there really wouldn't be any point.

Happy your so happy with the product. Hope that situation doesn't change for you.

0 Ratings