cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimSmedley
Aspiring Expert
Message 21 of 38

Re: Recordings missing the end of programmes

Bobbs, the issue is not one you can resolve.  The dtata from the TV broadcaster tells Youview who tell the box when to start & stop recording a particular programme, the idea is that if the schedule chnages or over runs they can tell the box and you dont miss the end of the programme.

As the data comes from the broadcaster and not BT the only way to resolve this is to either get Youview to change its recording methodology or contact the braodcaster &/or Youview and get them to step up - I doubt the former will work.

I and others have contacted the various broadcasters in the past and seen an improvement and the link above from Youview does ask you to feed back to them and so I urge you and as many as possible to do so!

Tim

0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 38

Does anyone know why, if it's the broadcasters fault, a programme which I set up to record on both BT Youview and on a Humax Freesat box was handled in different ways? I set another recording on Yesterday which the Youview box lopped off the final couple of minutes (recorded 58 minutes) yet the Freesat box recorded in full (61 minutes). You would imagine, as both setups use AR, that they would both have recorded in the same manner, not differently. I find the Youview boxes' handling of a basic function to be light years behind Freesat/Sky etc. I'm not a BT/Youview basher as I enjoy every other aspect of the service being provided. 

0 Ratings
Bobbs
Contributor
Message 23 of 38

Hi

i decided to get a neighbour to record the same programmes as me one on Yesterday, one in Syfy and one on animal planet. She is with sky. My recirdings  were all cut off but hers weren't. I then asked a friend to do the same. She is on Virgin, the same channels and the same result. That tells me it's not the broadcasters fault.

in my simple mind, I have a contract with BT. They are supposed to supply me with a service that's fit for purpose. It's down to them, to get the sorted.

if I buy a PC from Dell and a component regularly fails causing for example, the DVD recorder to intermittently fail. It's not down to e to contact the Japanese component manufacturer/supplier of the DVD recorder. It's down to Dell to provide me with something it says it dies on the tin. 

I do appreciate your replies, I really do. I just want it fixed. It's nice that if I'm up most of the night that I have programmes that are complete. 

0 Ratings
jam2000
Expert
Message 24 of 38

It is all down to the broadcaster, the main ones use accurate record. As previously stated you will need to raise it with the broadcasters that are causing issues and youview.
0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 25 of 38

It's baffling why any broadcaster would supply the correct info to Sky/Freesat/Virgin and not to Youview. Even my uncle's Humax HDR-1800T which is a Freeview recorder can correctly record the programmes that the Youview box is failing on. One can only take from this that people are being conned into believing the issue is anything other than software/hardware failings with the Youview boxes (unless of course the broadcasters believe that they should supply the correct information to everyone BUT Youview, now that is clearly very difficult to believe by any rational mind).

0 Ratings
Bobbs
Contributor
Message 26 of 38

I totally agree Robert1997.

I've complained to you view. Not that I think it will make one jot if a difference. Interesting that when you are registering a fault and you are asked what the fault is, their faqs come up with the exact fault. It's definitely a known issue.

I think I'll drop Watchdog a note about this
0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 27 of 38

@Bobbs wrote:

Hi

i decided to get a neighbour to record the same programmes as me one on Yesterday, one in Syfy and one on animal planet. She is with sky. My recirdings  were all cut off but hers weren't. I then asked a friend to do the same. She is on Virgin, the same channels and the same result. That tells me it's not the broadcasters fault

No.  All it tells you is that there is a difference between the DTT (aka Freeview / Youview) platform and the satellite and cable platforms.  You need to find someone to make recordings with a different Freeview box to learn more.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Bobbs
Contributor
Message 28 of 38

I contacted YouView directly and explained my problems. They said it is a known issue. They have given me a list of things to try and at each step record a programme and then see if it's still missing the ends of the programmes. If I go through all of the steps and the issue is still happening then I may well have a faulty box. The lively lady also gave me her name and said to contact her directly should the suggested remedies not work.

This will take me a wee while to do but I feel at last I'm perhaps getting somewhere.
0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 29 of 38

@gomezz. If you check my post above you will see I have already done just that with having a programme recorded on an uncles Freeview pvr whilst I recorded the same programme on my Youview box. The result? His box recorded the programme in full, my YV box didn't.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 30 of 38

In my experience Humax Freeview PVRs normally have  have the option to use Accurate recording as Youview does ,but also allow padding to be added  to  start and/or the end of recordings automatically  or allow for a manual set duration to be set. 

0 Ratings