Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 31 of 38

Re: Recordings missing the end of programmes

That's correct @zulu17. I did make sure he turned off padding to give an accurate 'test' comparison. Like I said earlier I do love the BT TV service. It does fall down though with the hit and miss recordings situation. I've posted elsewhere in the past about the lack of padding offered in the YV boxes. That I believe would solve all the issues around truncated recordings. Every other service offers it so why not Youview? It's the one area I feel YV lets itself down and one reason I find it hard to recommend it to friends/family. I think an option in 'edit recording' to allow for manual padding would be a fantastic addition to the setup. As it is I tend to use Freesat for my recordings and rely on the Catch Up service on BT TV for my non-fta viewing.  

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 32 of 38

We have been banging on to Youview about the lack of a padding facility since us triallists first received our boxes some years back now. Sadly, they are as stubborn as a mule in refusing to accept it is their problem let alone do anything about it.

As I see it, our one hope now is that BT forces the issue with them as they become the sole owners / users of the Youview platform.

0 Ratings
Bobbs
Contributor
Message 33 of 38

@gomezz Wow, I was unaware that this was a long standing issue. I remember when I was with Sky and I'd be recording perhaps 2 programmes and then at the change if the hour, a different 2. Quite often I'd get a message saying I had a clash no it would give me a choice of which programmes to record. Now I understand that this has been the "padding"

At the time I couldn't understand why it was telling me I had a clash when by all intents the previous recordings should have finished.

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 34 of 38

Programmes starting early (eg The One Show) or ending late (eg Top Gear) compared to the published schedule is one thing and programmes such as live sports overrunning is another which can cause the situation you describe. Many broadcasters not using the Actual Recording system as it was designed but signalling by the clock is another. Failure of the Accurate Recording system to inject the signals at the actual change of programme is another even if the broadcaster intends to use it as designed. And then there are problems with individual devices which sometimes fail to correctly act on Accurate Recording signals is another.

Fixed time recording / hammock recordings / padding is a simple workaround to enable the viewer to take back control of recording what they actually want to record despite the above issues.

My ideal would be a modern DVB-T2/HD compatible PVR which ran MyStuff which was (and still is for many users of the Topfield 5800) the gold standard for controlling a PVR.
0 Ratings
Bobbs
Contributor
Message 35 of 38

Now you have lost me 🙃
0 Ratings
robert1997
Aspiring Expert
Message 36 of 38

Ah the Toppy @gomezz. Oh for one of those again. I'm also aware the padding issue is a long standing complaint with YV. Maybe BT will listen if/when they 'take over' the service all to themselves. Can live in hope I guess. I feel implementing padding and giving us a little control is the right way to go.

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 37 of 38

personally I've not had any clipped recordings for a couple of months now, even Dual Survival recorded perfectly ( the ones I've watched so far any way).

I kind of preffer not having to skip through 5 minutes of adverts before each recording like you had to do with Sky. It also saves a lot if disk space I expect.

I agree with the poster who said that Freesat works OK, I've never had a problem since I got the box in 2010, it does have a setting to allow padding though.

I can't be that difficult to get the software to pad the recording by a couple of minutes unless another is due to start, surely ?

0 Ratings
Bobbs
Contributor
Message 38 of 38

I've decided after having various discussions with BT regarding dodgy connection, frequent dropping and not knowing if I am going to see the end of the programme I want to watch that as soon as I can get out of this and back to an isp/tv provider that provides what it says the happier I will be. I sat most of yesterday in tears nit just because if the TV, I'm nit as stupid as all that but just general frustration with BT and the rubbish service. I've spent more time on the phone to BT in 2 months that I spent in all the years with O2 and then Sky. Hell, even more than all the time I even had dial up with AOL.

After the Indian call center female who simply hung up on me whenI kept trying to explain that the hub was positioned in a place with maximum interference despite me begging open reach to run a longer cable to allow me to get to the hub. All she offered was pay another £130 to have it moved. I don't think so. I forked out enough plus extra for engineers to make sure everything was set up to allow me to access.

Sadly it's going to be next Sept before I can leave. I called cancellations to see how much it would be to leave and they told me £400 despite having paid a years rental upfront. 

Funny how the cancellations takes you directly to a UK team.

0 Ratings