cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dickie_Flosp
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Recovering Recordings from a failed YouView box

I think I know the answer to this, but just on the off-chance I'll ask the question anyway. 

Is there any way to recover the recordings from the hard disk of a T1000 box which has broken? (this is the older, large YouView box with the alphanumeric display on the front). 

I presume there is a standard SATA hard drive within, but I also presume all the content is encrypted so can only be replayed by the box that recorded it? 

Hopeful thanks in advance. 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Recovering Recordings from a failed YouView box

As you suspect there is no recovery of recordings from a Youview box and I believe were you to take the  hard drive out of one box and install in another it would effectively be treated as a new disk and be formatted accordingly.You could have a look at the Youview community 

eg

https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/comment/19001335#Comment_19001335

0 Ratings
Dickie_Flosp
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Thanks. I've had a search around on the YouView forums and the Web, and there seems to be a lot of conflicting advice out there. Some people are suggesting that only HD recordings are encrypted on the HDD, so SD recordings can be recovered. That sounds plausible, but I think the easiest way to find out is hook the HDD up to a PC and see what I can find.

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Guru
Message 4 of 5

@Dickie_Flosp 

Yes it is possible to recover SD recordings from a failed box.

You need to boot a PC in a unix mode - I used Lubuntu - and you'll eventually find where the recordings are ( I can't remember off hand), their extension is .ts .

Copy them to a PC drive & at the same time rename them as Windows can't recognise some of the characters in the name string. I then processed them through a free video encoder - VidCoder - to get them to a form that I wanted.

0 Ratings
Dickie_Flosp
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Thanks @TimCurtis - that's good to hear!

I'm used to dealing with .ts files, as my Humax HDR-2000T uses them natively, and my Samsung and LG TVs can play them directly from a USB drive without transcoding. VLC can also play them directly on Windows.

Acknowlegde the filename issue - I know Windows has a long list of characters that are not permitted in filenames, but Linux is a lot less strict!

0 Ratings