cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 16

Remote control is useless

We have been with BT for several years and have always found the BT Box and remote control to be, at best, poor quality. Our BT Box recently failed to record programmes so it was replaced with a new one.

The remote control operation has always been frustratingly poor, but it has now reached the level of being completely unacceptable as it takes an average of over 20 presses for a button to respond (even though each time the blue light on the remote control does flash). This is still the case even if the remote control is held just a few feet away and carefully pointed directly at the window on the BT Box.

We will be leaving BT when our contract finishes in October, but in the meantime has anyone else found a solution to this problem? Asking BT for a new Box or a new remote is not the answer as we are on to about our 6th or 7th Box and remote and they are all similarly poor.

I'm not sure why we have persevered with this for so long as the BT hardware is not fit for purpose.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

Re: Remote control is useless

Hi @Paul1956 

I think it would be useful to know which BT TV box  model you are using  and also to know where the box is positioned relative to your TV and any other devices that it is in close proximity to ?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 16

I suspect you have another device chucking out noise & causing interference. The lack of similar reports suggests that there is no generic issue with the kit.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 16

The BT Box is in an open fronted wooden cabinet almost directly below the TV; it's only about 12-18 ins away from the TV. I'm not sure which model the BT Box is as there is nothing on it to say which it is, though it does say BT item code 882506.

I've no reason to think that interference from other devices is causing this problem. The only other devices in the room are a Panasonic TV and a DVD (the latter is switched off most of the time), plus an Alexa about 10 feet away.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

@Paul1956 

Hopefully the Panasonic isn't a Plasma one as they were known for causing similar issues.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 16

@Paul1956 

this might help you narrow down which BT box you are using: https://www.bt.com/help/tv/learn-about-tv/bt-tv-boxes

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 16

Just keep asking for new remote controls and eventually if everyone does that they'll get the message. The remote on the pro box works fine.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 16

i can't believe bt has any experts. I have given up phoning tech support their useless

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 16

I had an issue years ago where the batteries in my Amazon Firestick remote were incorrectly placed and this was affecting the BT remote.

Worth a try, checking with any other remotes..

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 16

A few years ago I had a number of problems with an old Sony PVR. Amongst other issues was an unresponsive remote control and interference on the Freeview channels. After investigating everything else and not finding a solution I moved the DVD player, which was stacked in the same cabinet, and everything worked faultlessly afterwards.

I have no idea why; the only thing I could surmise is that the magnets in the DVD motor were somehow causing interference.

0 Ratings