Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 19

Re: Restart recording does not work

@steviejay

I guess it's time for a maintenance mode reset - look here

Only try options 2 & 4 - in that order - and see if that helps.

steviejay
Contributor
Message 12 of 19

Thanks for that. I tried option 2 on the last software build where the feature was already supported. I tried option 4 this time.

Box now reports component software 3.5.132 and software 31.69.0 (same as before)

Restart recording still does not complete with either remote.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 19

If I understand correctly you are seeing the commencement of the restart from beginning process  but it doesn,t complete.

what actually gets displayed .. if I recall the process normally shows a  slowish countdown from 3 , 2 1 and the words restarting at some point.

do you get the countdown if so to what number and do the words restarting appear at any stage ?

Is the experience the same on both Freeview content recordings and Bt IpTv  recordings ?

since doing your maintenance mode reset have you recorded  a short program off Freeview channel  and off BTTV channel  , started playback  and then tried to restart from beginning  with the same issues.

steviejay
Contributor
Message 14 of 19

Yes this was correct.

Resetting the box via Option 4 has replaced the software with the BT branded update rather than the YouView branded update, so the menu colour scheme is quite jarring.

However, the countdown was progressing for a random amount of time after holding 'OK' on the older recordings (like you had let go of the button or the box was ignoring the repeat 'zap' from the remote) and on a new manual 30 second recording, the countdown timer completed sucessfully and restarted the programme.

Have to assume that in some way either the YouView version of the update is broken (but the Huawei boxes are also YouView rather than TalkTalk branded in software and they work) or that the recordings themselves are broken in some way (most likely as the previous recordings still misbehave and refuse to restart).

I am not able to record any BT IP TV programming as I am currently on Plusnet and have no TV package with them.

Thank you so much!

0 Ratings
steviejay
Contributor
Message 15 of 19

So the box has now rebranded to YouView (it just went black for a second whilst being powered on).

On the latest recording (which was a series record set prior to the problems) it still exhibits the failing to restart issue.

I'll try another manual recording shortly and update. (We are using the box which means messing about is....well, messing about.)

0 Ratings
steviejay
Contributor
Message 16 of 19

OK. The manual recordings still work, i.e. they restart.

I have deleted and recreated all the series link recordings. Will update when the first one is completed.

0 Ratings
steviejay
Contributor
Message 17 of 19

Neither the new series link nor any new manual recordings will restart since the box went YouView branded.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 19

I believe the Youview skin is determined by the  box Ip address being identified as being that of BT or  TalkTalk or other.   I suspect that in your case that the change of skin would have occured on the first software update check or run after you had reset you Youview box.

Given that the less drastic maintenance mode options appear not to have resolved your problem then full factory reset  which does delete existing recordings and does a more effective data cleanse would be the next option. 

You could raise the issue on the youview community

https://community.youview.com/youview/categories/Support

to see if anyone on there has any experience of similar issue and can offer any less drastic resolution than a factory reset.

steviejay
Contributor
Message 19 of 19

Thank you for your suggestions.

If I get a window of opportunity, I'll exchange the hard drive for a spare and rebuild the box. Can you see any issues with that if I do? i.e. will I be able to change the drives back without loss?

0 Ratings