Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
4KTVFan
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 21

Retune issue

Go to solution

I've just done a retune on my BT Box and lost about 20 freeview channels.

It looks like com7 has gone.

However, on another device, same aerial feed, all the channels missing from my Youview Box are still there.

I'm the Sandy Heath transmitter.

I've looked online at the Freeview site but they state everything is okay.

Is here something going on that I don't know about?

*** Edit ***

Looking at the Youview updates page I can see that the update my box downloaded the other day included a "couple of fixes" to tuning issues...

Seems strange to suddenly lose to many channels?

Freeview is reporting no channel changes or engineering works for my transmitter.

*** Edit ***

It's okay, I've finally found a service page on the Freeview site that says the Sandy Heath transmitter in running on reduced power since yesterday  6 July 2020, which is bounded to be the reason for my issues...

However, it does raise the question about the tuners in the Youview boxes....????

Like I said, another device, same aerial is still getting the channels that have gone missing.

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
NigelB72
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 21

Re: Retune issue

Go to solution

The tuners in the Humax boxes aren't the greatest tbf

0 Ratings
4KTVFan
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

So I've been in touch with the Freeview help line about my lost channels.

The person I spoke to was very helpful, but the information they had to hand seemed all over the place, and it has now been left for someone to look into the matter and get back to me.

The engineering works on the Sandy Heath transmitter now seem to be complete, yet I can't seem to regain my loss channels, which as far as I can tell, where on COM7.

Now I've done some more research and found  a possible reason, posted by a Freeview spokesperson on a well known AV site, this is what they had to say,,, I'm paraphrasing...

COM7 seems to be the MUX that is moving about, and in some areas changing frequency from Group from A, to Group C/D.

What this means is that if your aerial was installed a few years ago, and mine was, about 12 years ago, it is probably a Group A aerial, and optimised to receive Com7, which has now moved from Group A, so you now need a Group W aerial, which is optimised to receive a wider range of Groups, such as C and D.

This would explain what has happen in my case, as it looks like the work at Sand Heath was probably the final work to move Com7 across to it's now frequencies.

So I wait to hear back from Freeview... 

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

@4KTVFan 

COM7 was i believed moved to channel 55 on Sandy Heath way back in June 2018 .

0 Ratings
4KTVFan
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks @zulu17 

However, I find all the information confusing, and often either out of date, or simply wrong.

According to this link, the final 700Mhz clearance didn't happen at Sandy Heath until this Year, in February.

https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate/platform-management/700mhz-clearance/clearance-events-2020

I have no idea if that work was delayed by the current situation, as Freeview has said that planned work is being delayed because the Covid-19.

Trying to work out the issue is difficult because most information online is wrong... for example, I went to one transmitter status check website, and it reported no engineering work on Sandy Heath, I then found another checker, that did report engineering works, even when I phoned Freeview, they at first didn't think there was any engineering work being carried out, only once they checked some more did they confirm there was...

All I know if that something seemed to change about a week ago, it could be that the Com7 was shut in Feb 2020, and I believe there was a temporary Com8 running, which may have shut last week, as I think I saw a report about June 2020 for it's closure.

*** Edit ***

So I think I've managed to work out what has happen...

This is the information I need...

In Feburay 2020, there were channel number changes for Com7 as part of the 700Mhz clearance...

Which I returned by then and all was fine.

However!

In June 2020, so just about a week ago!!!!

Edit > Com8, not Com7 was shut down!

So that all falls into place, I've lost Com8, and it looks like those channels moved to Com7, but I can't pick them up?

https://www.freeview.co.uk/help/coverage-checker/detailed-view/anglia?postcode=SG19%202NH&address=

Sandy HeathStep 
Date BBC A D3&4 BBC B HD SDN ARQ A ARQ B COM7 HD COM8 HD L-CAM
 NNNNNNNNN
New baseline02 Oct 2013272421+515248   
Multiplex launch10 Dec 2013272421+51524832  
Multiplex launch28 Apr 2015272421+5152483234 
Multiplex launch. Retune may provide additional services.18 Aug 2015272421+515248323440
COM channel change and power-up06 Jun 2018272421+515248323435
COM channel change17 Jul 2018272421+513648555635
COM power-up08 Jan 2020272421+513648555635
COM mux FEC change10 Feb 2020272421+513648555635
COM channel change12 Feb 2020272421+333648555635
Multiplex closes30 Jun 2020272421+33364855 35
0 Ratings
4KTVFan
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

So I'm completely stumped!

So after a retune, my BT Youview box has lost all channels that seem to be on Com7, Forces TV for example.

I have tried several retunes and can't get the channels back.

So just now... I plugged in a small spare TV on the landing and with a indoor aerial on the floor next to it, and set it to auto tune, and it picked up all the channels, including Forces TV, and that's with an indoor aerial on the floor!

So the channels are being transmitted!

I also have an HD Homerun tuner, which is in fact plugged into the aerial output of my BT Youview box, and that is ALSO picking up the channels, including Forces TV.

But my BT Youview won't pick them up, signal quality seems to be 100% on pretty much any channel I check, and signal strength around 40/50%, which I believe is ideal for the Youview boxes?

So what's going on?

The loss of channels happen about a week go...

1. There has been engineering works to my transmitter, but they are now complete, and both the small TV and indoor aerial on the landing tuned into the channels just now, and my HD Homerun Tuner, also gets the channels, but not my BT Youview Box???

2. There was a software update to my box about a week ago, 32.47.0 / 3.6.234

Now amongst other things, some issues where fixed...

• An issue where an automatic channel tune would occur when just one subscription series recording was starting

• Unsuccessful automatic channel tune when there are two subscription series recordings starting.

Now I don't have a recordings set, but could a bug to retuning been introduced?

*** Edit ***

So I've seen a post on the Youview forums of another BT user who has lost channels after doing a retune, his post is dated 2nd July 2020!!!

So this is starting to feel like an issue was introduced in the last BT software update, no Youview users are reporting the issue because they didn't get the update, as it relates to subscription channels... so how to bring this to someones attention at BT???

*** Edit ***

He says he's lost all channels between 105 and 200 amongst others, exactly the same as me!

He say's his Sony TV with Youview still picks up the channels after a retune, it's just his Youview Box, same as me, all my other devices are tuning fine.

He's in a different part of the country to me, so different transmitter.

We both started having the issue about a week ago... and that BT Youview software update happened about a week ago!

0 Ratings
wallsy1976
Beginner
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

I’m having the same Issa for a while now , re tuned and lost nearly 100 channels  but any other tv’s I have are grand so the only difference is the youview box on my main living room tv , why don’t BT address this issue 

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

This sounds similar to an issue sometime back with the centralised database Youview boxes use to determine which frequency channels are being used by which transmitter and therefore which TV stations from which frequencies are selected when the user retunes selecting a particular transmitter (eg for me Oxford or Sandy Heath).

If so then it is a problem for BT Central to resolve if the database is now out of date or has had incorrect changes applied.

0 Ratings
Paul608085
Expert
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

@gomezz 

Do Youview boxes really only scan certain UHF channels when doing a retune? Given the time that they take to scan, (I know they are also checking internet channels), I thought that they scanned the whole UHF band?

I'm guessing that you are in the same part of the country as me - my primary service comes from Sandy Heath, but I also get some multiplexes from Oxford. A Youview box retune seems to take forever, (compared with a TV doing a full scan), - especially if it is only scanning selected UHF channels.

Does scanning the internet channels considerably increase the time taken, (I wonder)?

0 Ratings
gomezz
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution
From what I can make out it scans all the frequencies and from those which get hits it works out which transmitters you have a choice of.
Not sure what you mean by scanning internet channels. They have nothing to do with a Freeview retune.
0 Ratings