cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Trace-T
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Return Equipment or you will be charged! - cancelled due to price increase.

Go to solution

Due to the July price increase of £4, I telephoned the day after getting the notification email from BT to remove BTTV Max 4K pack to avoid paying charges for leaving early (I’m currently 14 months in on a 18 month contract).

However - when checking on MyBT, the order tracking status for this change states; EQUIPMENT TO BE RETURNED OR YOU WILL BE CHARGED.

My original email stated I would only have to pay for the equipment if I cancel within 12 months.

Equipment charges T&Cs.jpg

Equipment Start date.jpg

Order Tracking for cancelling BTTV due to increase;

Track Order.jpg

Looks to me, they intend to charge me unless I return the equipment before 16th August!

I should ring back up, but the advisors aren’t always up to speed with the T&Cs. When I asked during the call, if cancelling BTTV would affect Netflix, the advisor said no - but the confirmation email says it does! (I have a backup payment setup ready now ).

Will I be charged or not for the YouView+ Ultra HD box?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Return Equipment or you will be charged! - cancelled due to price increase.

Go to solution

Hi @Trace-T  welcome back and sorry that you have received this email saying you will be charged. I can confirm that as long as you have completed the 12 months there will be no charge for the Youview box and it is your property. If you do not have a use for it then you have the option to return it for recycling. 

Cheers
John

Highlighted
Trace-T
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Many thanks for your reply JohnC2.

Thats exactly what I wanted to hear 😊

I was aware of the option to send the box back for recycling if I had no need for it - but it is not clear enough if you want to keep the box.

It certainly looks in MyBT as if I would be charged for it if I didn’t return it, regardless of the fact I’ve had it over 12 months. 

Thanks for clarifying that up for me 👍

0 Ratings
Dooley_do
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Even if it is less than 12 months if you cancel because of the price increase you should not have to pay for the equipment.

https://www.bt.com/terms/post3rdjuly2016tv

See section 17. Specifically clause f.

0 Ratings
Trace-T
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Thankyou for the link @Dooley_do 

A bit more clarity from BT regarding if customers actually want to keep the box would be a good idea, not just “Please send your TV box back if your not using it” eg for recycling. 

No doubt they would like them back so can be refurbished for other customers.

However, the message I see when logged in “MyBT” certainly gives the impression I MUST send it back or I will be charged!

0 Ratings
Dooley_do
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
Yep, I just cancelled. Confirmed on phone I can keep the box with no charges. Then I check the order and, same as you, is says return the box or you will be charged!!
0 Ratings