Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zummerzet
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Returning equipment after ceasing BT TV

Go to solution

Hi, I've ceased my BT TV, and have now received an email about returning my Ultra HD Box. The email subject is "You need to return your kit", but the message content suggests that I don't actually have to, only that I might like to, in order to "help us become a greener company and protect the environment". As I paid £49 for the box, can you please confirm whether or not I do NEED to return it, or whether it's merely a suggestion. Thanks.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Returning equipment after ceasing BT TV

Go to solution

If you have completed the full 12 months initial contract, then the box is yours to keep. BT have to offer to recycle it by law, but you do not have to send it back.

You must make sure you have definitely completed the full contract period, otherwise BT will charge for the box, even if you return it to them.

The box will still work as a FreeView PVR, but you will not be able to watch any existing recordings that were made from the Internet delivered channels.

0 Ratings
user2000
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

I see this misinformation quite regularly.

BT sent me the self same email when I left in 2015, "You need to return your equipment" - what misleading tosh.

The sage above is correct on the specific in contract example although I cannot see why anyone would voluntarily quit their contract before the 12 months is out - you will be hit with all manner of charges, for equipment and of course the remaining months (less VAT) of your contract.

HOWEVER - if you are leaving because of the price rise, EVEN IF WITHIN THE 12 MONTHS, then you DO NOT need to return your equipment, nor will they charge you for it (and nor can they, because OFCOM rules say so).

Remember, you cannot have the TV service without broadband, this is the key here.

The T&Cs are quite unambiguous (although the OFCOM directive would overrule any unfair deviation in any case):

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/post3rdjuly2016tv.html

Section 17 is the one of interest.

Also see the phone/broadband terms:

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/static/terms/post3rdjuly2016voiceandbroadband.html

Sections  13b, 13d, 17b.

So, you do not need to complete the initial 12 month contract for the box to be yours, IF you are leaving because of the price increase.

Also being talked about over here:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/BT-price-changes-April-and-August/td-p/1709458

Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Thank you so much for this.

I got a letter this morning informing me of a price increase after having broadband for 17 months and TV for 10 months.

The Advisor said I "needed" to return the box and arranged a day for it to be collected, however I want to keep the box for the Freeview PVR element. So I called back and again they said as I had ended my TV contract earlier than 12 months, it needed to be returned.

The reason I cancelled was the price rise, so I am able to keep this box??

0 Ratings
adly
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
I doubt you can keep the box if you ended your contract early. It's almost always the case that the equiptment must be returned if you cancel before the contract term is up.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution
If you cancel whilst in contract and you dont pay any charges you need to return the box as you didnt pay for it
It is almost the only scenario where you need to return it. Same applies for the router
0 Ratings
mickgov
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
I would challenge the fact that you have to pay for your equipment if you leave early. If you leave your contract early due to price increases, BT have stated you can do so without any penalties. I would consider it a penalty if you have to pay for the equipment.
0 Ratings
tullyhubbert
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

@Zummerzet wrote:

Hi, I've ceased my BT TV, and have now received an email about returning my Ultra HD Box. The email subject is "You need to return your kit", but the message content suggests that I don't actually have to.

Another, this morning my Phone & Broadband moved from BT to PlusNet and I received the same email as Zummerzet. 

My BT TV contract was from 8/4/16 and for 12 months, I only had a the small youview model without a HDD which was unused. 

Hasn't caused any stress but the email subject is a little misleading.

0 Ratings