Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oldsalt
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

SD Channels interference.

Hi Guy's

My Youview box has developed a problem where the all SD channels have random interference like pixelation but in lines across the screen. The HD channels and Freeview on the TV are perfect. SD channel signal strength is 76-78% continously moving, HD channels signal strength is steady 84%. The signal quality is 100% on both SD & HD. The signal strength and quality on the TV's Freeview is Max.

I have tried powering the YV box off for 30 seconds and restarting, but the problem appears immediately. We live in an apartment, so the aerial is a communial one.

I have searched the forum for any similar posts, but find nothing alike.

I am reluctant to fit a amplifier as I doubt it will do anything.

I'm guessing this may be a YV box issue, but would value any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

David

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 13

Re: SD Channels interference.

Are you sure it's not an electrical interference problem? All sorts of things can cause problems, but things with motors and thermostats (e.g. central heating or fridges) are particularly problematic.

The Freeview channels are transmitted on a number of different frequencies, so it's possible to get a better signal on one multiplex than another.

0 Ratings
Oldsalt
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

We do not have the central heating on. There is no passing vehicles when the interference is happening. I have switched off the fridge and freezer, interference still occurs.

So why would freeview through the BT Youview box have interference, when the same channels on my Tv's own freeview are perfect? My assumption is there is a fault with the BT YV box. But how do I prove it to Frank or Sandra in Mumbai?

I have tried reset, switch off for several minutes cable check. There is a software update, but when I check my YV, it is still stuck on the old one. I doubt the update will make a lot of difference TBH.

David

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 13

Does the interference exist on recordings made when the TV is not being used ?

Do you have a plasma TV ?

Have you discussed  interference with your neighbours who use the same communal aerial to see if they have any issues?

0 Ratings
Oldsalt
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Thanks zulu17,

I have just done a recording with the TV totally off, the interference is present in the recording.

Our TV is a Panasonic LED which we got in October. When we initially had BT Youview at the same time, there was no interference, it started randomly about 2 month ago, but is getting particularly bad (every few minutes) in the last 2 weeks.

I have spoken to neighbours, they are not having any problems.

David

0 Ratings
Martin_Gibson
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Is the YouView box, or any other equipment, connected by an HDMI cable? I get channel interference if there's any contact between the aerial cables and the HDMI cables.

0 Ratings
Oldsalt
Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Yes Martin, HDMI connected to YV box, cables are touching together for about 1/2 mtr. Also I noticed today the aerial coax leads are quite thin, so probably not screened to well. I will replace with some high quality coax.

Thank you for your suggestion, maybe you have the answer? There is quite a birds nest of cables behind the unit. 

David

0 Ratings
Oldsalt
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Right, I have had a major look at my cabling. I have replaced my HDMI cables with improved screened  ones. I have re-routed the HDMI, RF and power cables so they do not run alongside or touch each other.

Sadly the intererence remains the same, no improvement whatsoever.

David

0 Ratings
Oldsalt
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Wonder of wonders, my interference has gone!!!

The remedy was the latest software update for my Youview box. I may be wrong, but the SD picture quality appears to be sharper too.

For now I will not post this thread as successfully closed, as I want to see how things fair over the next few days.

David

0 Ratings
Oldsalt
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Sadly I jumped the gun with my last post, as 20 minutes later - INTERFERENCE!!!

0 Ratings