cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gitfinger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Scheduled recording of HD IP channels records the SD channel.

I've looked at the topic titles back to the last week of August and can't see this problem having been talked about.

When I set up a scheduled recording of a programme on the HD version of an IP channel, the SD channel version is recorded.  I've seen this on the two Eurosport channels, and have set up some test recordings to see if this happens on other IP delivered SD/HD channel pairs.  I'll update this thread during 27/10 to report whether it affects other IP HD channels or just Eurosport.

My tests so far suggest that this happens if the box powers up from standby to action the scheduled recording, but does not happen if the box is already powered when the scheduled event kicks in.

Details:

DTRT1000

21.50.50 (updated 13th Oct).

SD channels hidden when there is an HD variant.

Box is in high-eco mode.

No other activity on the BT TV box at the time of recording.

Low broadband activity at the time of recording.

I don't record much on the BT box, but I know this has been happening for at least a couple of months (at that time I thought I'd scheduled the wrong channel or it was a Eurosport TX issue) so it's not related to the current software version.

Regards,

Paul.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Scheduled recording of HD IP channels records the SD channel.

Do you have any examples of Eurosport programs from the last 7 days that have recorded on the wrong (SD) channel ?

0 Ratings
Gitfinger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Hi,

I have one example at this time:

Eurosport,  Sunday 25th, 11:30am -> 12:45pm, Alpine Skiing World Cup.

I have already deleted the other recent example that I had and can't remember what it was.  I've set up two test recordings for this afternoon, one on Eurosport HD and the other on Eurosport 2 HD and spaced them far enough apart that the box will be fully powered down between the two.

My three test recordings from overnight on Discovery HD, Animal Planet HD and BT Sport 1 HD all worked OK.

Paul.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 9

Thank for the example -  this is an issue with Eurosport channels on Youview .

Personally I believe it is due to the EPGs and metadata for the Eurosport SD and HD channels being out of synch.

If you look at your Youview EPG

on mine - the EPG currently shows

Eurosport,  Sunday 25th, 11:30am -> 12:45pm, Live Alpine Skiing World Cup.

Eurosport HD ,  Sunday 25th, 11:15am -> 12:45pm, Live Alpine Skiing World Cup.

Of course we don't know what the EPG schedules said on Sunday morning.

Do you recall when you set the program up whether it was schefuled to start at 11:15 or 11:30 ?

Consider this scenario (it may or may not apply to your experience) .

You schedule a recording on an HD channel according to the EPG - the broadcaster decides at short notice that it will delay that programme so the programme isn't available to record at the scheduled time. The broadcaster updaters the metadata for its SD channel with the new (later)  start time but doesn't for it's HD channel. At the scheduled HD channel start time the progeam is not broadcast  so It is a failed recording. Intelligent Youview will look to schedule the  failed programme when it is next found in the EPG guide which as the EPG has been updated for the SD channel it finds and sets up the recording. It successfully records the program on that SD channel.

i

0 Ratings
davgille7
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

It's a great feature that youview will automatically record a program if it has a failed recording but my view list of recordings are a mess. One example is Yukon Gold on a Monday night. I have 12th and 19th October together. I have a sat 17th October and Thursday 22nd recordings. It has missed Monday 26th October. It has now got a series record for the HD and SD National Geo channels for this Thursday the 29th. Like I say the listings in my view is a mess with loads of programs like this and what makes it worse is it doesn't tell you what episode number it is. Also I cannot tape Gold Rush S6 on discovery on series record as it tapes Gold Rush The Dirt S4 as well which clashes with other programs I'm trying to record.
0 Ratings
Gitfinger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

I follow your logic, Zulu.   Unfortunately I didn't take any notice of what the details of the schedule were at the time I set the sheduled recording.

The bigger problem at the moment is that it looks as if when I brought the boxout of standby this evening it has died completely, so I can't check my recordings from earlier today.  I'll know more once I get the box out, fuse checked, etc, which I'll need to do in daylight so that I can disentagle the leads.

Paul.

0 Ratings
Gitfinger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

The BT TV YouView box is, to all intents and purposes, dead.  There's power to it as the Ethernet port LEDs light up when the switch is on, but it makes no attemt to boot and there's no activity on the front panel.

I was thinking of cancelling TV anyway, so it looks like my decision has been made for me.

Paul.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

@Gitfinger I'm sorry about the problems you've had with your BT TV service. If you have'nt cancelled yet and would like us to help please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details.

You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
taylorwj
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

New to BT same problem with Eurosport 2. Recording set while watching African Cup of Nations 0645pm to 0930pm on Sunday 05Feb17

Replay is Eurosport 2 (not HD) Went back to Planner: Showed HD as recorded

0 Ratings