cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Syncopix
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Second YouView box, second Freeview picture issue...

Go to solution

I recently had my YouView (Ultra HD) box replaced by BT due to an issue with being able to watch any Freeview HD channel but the replacement has developed a similar issue.

All the internet channels work fine as do the SD channels, however almost all the free-to-air HD channels have quality issues. When I say almost all, I anything other than BBC1 HD, BBC2 HD, ITV HD, Channel 4 HD and Channel 5 HD - those channels work absolutely fine. Anything else though is pixelated and unwatchable.

If I go to the settings page I can see both the signal and quality go from a respectable 80% down to zero than back to 80% and back to zero again... endlessly.

Again, this is only for channels NOT listed above, for example CBeebies HD that my daughter tries to watch.

I have tried doing a full factory restore but it has had no impact on the issue. I can confirm there are no signal issues with my aerial as I can receive Freeview HD channels directly on the TV without issues (as I can on the YouView box with the above listed channels).

I shudder at the idea of calling the BT customer services because last time I was told to check my ethernet cable, then to unplug it and switch the ends round... Jeez.

Does anyone have any idea about a fix for this, or am I looking at a third set-top box? I'll be honest, this product has fallen way short of expectations so far and I think I'll be returning to Sky at the end of the 12 month cotract.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Second YouView box, second Freeview picture issue...

Go to solution

It could be too much signal overloading the YouView box. You could try a 6dB attenuator which you can get from TV shops or online.

Syncopix
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply - I'll head over to Maplin at lunch and grab one then report back later!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

You can get different values probably 6dB and 12dB. Plug it in the aerial lead going into the YouView box.

Signal overload is quite common if you are near a transmitter, or have an aerial amplifier.

If the signal is too strong, the digital tuners in the YouView box cannot extract the data from the muxes, they are not all the same strength, which is why some channels work, and others do not.

Another issue that can cause odd results, is if people have teed the TV feeds to their TVs together, without a proper splitter or distribution amplifier to isolate each circuit. This can result in standing waves being generated where the teed cable is a quarter wave multiple of the mux frequency.

The "stub" technique was often used on the old analogue TV network, to notch out unwanted signals.

Syncopix
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe the 6db aerial attenuator has worked a treat. I rescanned the channels last night as there were new channels to be added and it's all working fine.

It's odd that the decoder in the TV doesn't have an issue with the signal strength (I removed the cable from the YouView box to plug directly into the TV to get a fair comparison). Either way though, the issue is resolved!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

I am pleased that it is solved.

TVs tend to have a wider dynamic range to give some form of signal, even on poor aerials. Its good for TV sales.

0 Ratings