Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Stew1524
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Second box from ebay

Hi, wonder if someone can help us out. We joined bt  tv phone and broadband yesterday from sky. We had multi room with them. Was wondering tho if I was to buy a second tv box on eBay would I be able to phone up bt to activate it to my account or would I need to buy the second box from bt direct ? Thanks  

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
-Richie-
Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Second box from ebay

You can source your own second box and just pay the £5 2nd box subscription, you'll then have the same content on both boxes.
If BT provide it, the charge is £49 for non-recordable or £99 recordable, plus the £5 2nd box subscription.

If BT provide the box you'll get a warranty, from elsewhere depends on the terms you purchase.

0 Ratings
Stew1524
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Thank you
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

@Stew1524 

You can get a second hand box and use it without contacting BT if you use it just as a Freeview recorder. It's only if you want the subscription channels that BT need to be involved.

I think there are minimum line speed requirements for extra room/box and I'm not sure that @-Richie- is correct about being able to use a non-BT supplied box. BT might insist that they supply another box but best you check with BT Customer options on 0800 8000300 before splashing out on a 2nd hand box.

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 5 of 9

@TimCurtiswrote:
I'm not sure that @-Richie- is correct about being able to use a non-BT supplied box.

I am correct, you can pay just the £5 second box subscription using a 3rd party sourced Youview box.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 9

There is a Bt help page whiich you might care to read at

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48891/~/can-i-watch-bt-tv-in-more-than-one-room%3F

point 14  refers to boxes not supplied by BT.

0 Ratings
Stew1524
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Hi, yes I did see that but was not sure the that covered Bt Tv branded youview boxes that came from Bt originally. Thanks  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 9

I suspect the logic is that for Extra box you need two boxes - if your BT account shows that you only have been supplied with one box then when  looking to order Extra box the normal order process is likely  to detect  that you have one box and look to give you the choice of an additional non recordable or recordable  HD Youview box.  

@-Richie- seems confident that there  is a way around this but  the  official Bt web pages do not suggest that this is the norm.

stereohaven
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

@zulu17wrote:

I suspect the logic is that for Extra box you need two boxes - if your BT account shows that you only have been supplied with one box then when  looking to order Extra box the normal order process is likely  to detect  that you have one box and look to give you the choice of an additional non recordable or recordable  HD Youview box.  

@-Richie-seems confident that there  is a way around this but  the  official Bt web pages do not suggest that this is the norm.

This is my understanding as well, but there could well be a workaround.

Once you have the extra box subscription you can use whatever box you like, BT branded or otherwise. 

0 Ratings