cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
srpsrp
Expert
Message 1 of 18

Series Link not 'series linking' accurately

If I set the new S14 /EP1 Wheeler Dealers on Discovery this evening to 'series link record' it also adds R icons to all the previous series they are running before that today.

Is this a YouView issue or is it the normal 'blame the broadcaster for incorrect info' problem ? Pretty annoying either way since I don't want to fill my HD with loads of stuff I've already seen and I'll have to remember to set it record again next week.

HNY BTW 🙂

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: Series Link not 'series linking' accurately

It is the responsibility of the broadcaster and the Discovery group are the worst in my experience.

However, being new to Youview myself, I am pretty certain that there is also a problem with the Youview software when it comes to Series Linking. I too set the 9pm episode of Wheeler Dealers to record tonight and it is recording every episode that's on today. I've also had this happen with The Librarians on SyFy, Gold Rush on Discovery and there have been others as well.

In all of my years with Sky I never had this problem, if you set a series to record it would only record from that episode onwards, it didn't look back. 

I'm assuming that the Youview software looks for previous showings because of the function of scrolling backwards through the EPG.

Broken, missing or no links at all are the responsibilty of the broadcaster, but for my money what we are seeing happening with Wheeler Dealers etc is due to the Youview software. I'm happy for someone to prove me wrong but it does need to be proven.

If it happens on one platform and not an other then the finger has to be pointed at the software.

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 3 of 18

I wonder if the Series link function uses the same information source as the EPG description. The new show tonight has the correct S14 info. showing in the description, however all the (S13) episodes today don't show the series ( as most don't). I wonder if the box assumes that they are the same series and records them just in case.

Normaly this would not be too much of an issue but when they are showing Wheeler Dealers ALL day it would fill up the HD and cause stuff I want to watch to be deleted.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 18

In this example Discovery is likely to be using the same Series Content Identifier  for all the Wheeler Dealers programmes regardless of whether they are from the season 13 or season 14 .  whether that is a deliberate decision or an oversight in not assigning season 14 a different series identifier only Discovery will know.

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 5 of 18

I don't know why they would do that it's obvious that if you specifically  set the new series to record you are not interested in watching all the programmes that ran last year. If you specifically did wish to binge watch Wheeler Dealers then you would set Both series to series link, surely.

0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 18

@zulu17 wrote:

In this example Discovery is likely to be using the same Series Content Identifier  for all the Wheeler Dealers programmes regardless of whether they are from the season 13 or season 14 .  whether that is a deliberate decision or an oversight in not assigning season 14 a different series identifier only Discovery will know.

Even if Discovery have linked the two Series together, if I choose to record a Series from 9pm the Youview software should not take it upon itself to record the preceeding 15 hours programming. It should only record from the point that I choose to record from.

As far as I can tell this only happens with the BT box, I'm farly sure it doesn't on Sky, so anyone with BT broadband with a data cap should be asking for the cap to be lifted FOC.

My Humax Freesat Box does the same, it tries to record any airing before the point I want it to start from, I then have to trawl through the EPG cancelling the recodings I don't want one at a time. 

0 Ratings
Hunter2660
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 18

@Andy005 wrote:

@zulu17 wrote:

As far as I can tell this only happens with the BT box, I'm farly sure it doesn't on Sky, so anyone with BT broadband with a data cap should be asking for the cap to be lifted FOC.

Just for clarity, using the BT multicast channels will not affect any data cap. Important for those who may be concerned.

0 Ratings
srpsrp
Expert
Message 8 of 18

@Andy005 wrote:

@zulu17 wrote:

Even if Discovery have linked the two Series together, if I choose to record a Series from 9pm the Youview software should not take it upon itself to record the preceeding 15 hours programming. It should only record from the point that I choose to record from.

My Humax Freesat Box does the same, it tries to record any airing before the point I want it to start from, I then have to trawl through the EPG cancelling the recodings I don't want one at a time. 

My humax freesat box doesn't add earlier episodes at all, also on BT if you remove any earlier unwanted recordings it removes them all.

0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 18

My HDR-1100S definitely records any broadcasts in the epg prior to the one I want, the BT box seems to do the same although I only have streamed channels on that so I can't be certain.

Back to your original question of Series Linking, with Wheeler Dealers yesterday I think it's due to both Discovery being hopeless with linking and the Youview software.

I notice that I now have a Wheeler Dealer episode scheduled on TURBO tomorrow, but next weeks S14 Ep2 on Discovery isn't scheduled at all. If I add it to record then it picks up the 3 old repeats immediately before it as well, there's probably more but I didn't check as I'm losing the will to live.

Discovery channels are known for being useless at linking, the best thing to do is to record single episodes, after you've watched one add the next one in. We shouldn't have to operate that way but it's a lot less hassle than letting the box record loads of stuff you haven't asked for.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 18

You do have the option of watching on Bt Player catchup -- I notice thatt Wheeler Dealers Season 14 episode 1  (extended version) is available.

0 Ratings