cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Skanthiah
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Simpler networks power line adapter doesn't support movie streaming using BBC iPlayer

Go to solution
Hello all,

I am new to BT and youview. Over the weekend I set up youview and have been playing around a bit. The experience so far isn't great - especially I was trying to play the movie Madagascar from iPlayer and literally youview struggled to load. It took around 25 minutes for first 5 minutes of the movie. Needless to say I gave up. What I found was the moment I press play button on the remote the data LED on powerline adapter to which youview is connected turns either red or amber! I tried resetting the adapter but it consistently goes red or amber. If I move to regular channels, it's happily back to green...! Later I found that streaming anything causes this. I checked the Internet and it was consistently above 20 Mbps (on 75 Mbps line). What is wrong with bt/youview? Please help.
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Moderator-Retired
Message 2 of 9

Re: Simpler networks power line adapter doesn't support movie streaming using BBC iPlayer

Go to solution

That doesn't sound right. I don't suppose you've been able to plug the Youview box into your router using a direct connection to see if the streams work OK? If they do, the powerline adapters might need to be replaced.

Dean
BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
notoriousdbp
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

Re: Simpler networks power line adapter doesn't support movie streaming using BBC iPlayer

Go to solution

@Skanthiah wrote:
the remote the data LED on powerline adapter to which youview is connected turns either red or amber! I tried resetting the adapter but it consistently goes red or amber.

The red / amber lights indicate that the speed at which the powerlines talk to each other is slow, and probably too slow to stream TV.  I believe (although someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that amber means they connect to each other at < 10Mbps and red means < 4Mbps.  Nothing to do with your broadband link, it'll be a problem with the internal wiring in your house slowing the link between the powerlines down.

Not much you can do about that unfortunately short of getting an ethernet cable long enough to reach the hub form your TV or getting a longer cable from your phone socket to bring your hub nearer to the TV.

---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---
0 Ratings
Skanthiah
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks so much for the replies.

Well, I have found another interesting thing.

I have placed the hub in one of the bedrooms in first floor. When I plug in the powerline adapters next to each other, they are blazingly fast i.e. I get around 60 mbps. But when I plug in the powerline adapter downstairs next to TV, I get appalingly slow speeds - a mere 3-5 mbps. The situation improves a bit in one of the other rooms downstairs where I get upto 7 mbps. 

I quite don't get why the thoroughput changes socket to socket.

Time to call BT engineer?

0 Ratings
MartinH
Expert
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

@Skanthiah wrote:

Time to call BT engineer?

No, because the problem is your electrical wiring as others have already told you.

Move the HomeHub to the same room or floor as the TV and YouView box. 

0 Ratings
notoriousdbp
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

It's definitely your wiring.  A BT engineer wouldn't be able to fix it.  The only solutions are to either find a way of bringing the hub closer to the TV or to run an ethernet cable from the hub to the TV.  I assume your hub is currently upstairs? Is that where your main phone socket is?

---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Skanthiah
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
That's right, my hub is upstairs. The engineer found a fibre optic socket used by previous occupant so he conveniently set up the hub there. I didn't bother to change as I didn't expect any problems such as this.
0 Ratings
SpottyDog
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Powerline adaptors have to be on the same household ring main to work, usually the upstairs and downstairs are on a seperate circuit, so one powerline upstairs can't talk to the one downstairs.

0 Ratings
Storm_Force
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

My hub is on the ground floor, my PC is in attic bedroom and the powerline adapters work fine even though they are on different circuits.

0 Ratings